CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

I listed some parts for sale on here...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I listed some parts for sale on here...

I don't want to repost my parts for sale in this forum, but they were all parts that came with my 91 1000F when I got it from the previous owner. None of them (with the exception of the seats) have ever been used. I wanted to post a little reference to it in this section since it's 1000F-oriented.

The parts include a jet kit, full 4-2-1 exhaust, etc. My reason for parting with them is because of the fact that I'm somewhat of a new rider on these bikes and the temptation of putting performance parts on my bike will possibly make it more powerful than I really need or even can handle yet... at least for the jet kit and pipe.

I also have a brand new in the box gas tank. Because my bike isn't necessarily in pristine condition, putting a brand new tank on it would be equivalent to putting lipstick on a pig... or so to speak.

For the other parts, I either don't plan on using them or am still not 100% sure I want to sell them. But, I figured that I would offer them to my fellow CBRForum members who may need or be interested in them. I'm probably going to keep them listed on here for a couple of weeks and then I'm going to probably put them on ebay.

The money is primarily going to be used to pay for my new tires and fork rebuild and anything else I want to do to "perrty-up" the bike a little bit and get some better riding gear.

The stuff is listed here with a couple of pictures:

https://cbrforum.com/m_517226/tm.htm

I can take additioal pictures as requested. I haven't listed any prices, but am not expecting what current market value is for these parts. I want to make sure that it works out to benefit both of us.

Thanks!

Old 03-26-2008, 02:38 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: I listed some parts for sale on here...

That's a very mature attitude.......having been in your boots about 41/2 years ago, when I first rode my Bike, I was nervous, too - it's a lot of bike to handle, but, if you're as responsible in 6 months time,as you seem to be now, you will regret selling off all these good parts. The parts you mention will make a difference, performancewise, but more along the lines of smooth power delivery than outright "grunt".........these bikes are heavy at around 550 pounds weight, and even major power improvements are not as readily apparent as they would be on a lighter bike, eg a Fireblade.
Sell the spare seats, by all means, you have no need of them, but keep the performance parts for later - when you are ready for them, the prices will be out of reach.
Rather save up for new tyres, and get to know your baby.
My own bike came to me with performance pipes & Dynojet kit, and I rode a friend's stock bike for comparison. I found that my throttle response was a little better, and the bike seemed to have slightly more in the midrange area, but other than those areas my bike was quite as easy to ride (if not easier due to the power delivery) than a stock bike.
If you want your bike to really frighten you, change the sprocket ratios from the 17/42 standard, down to 16/44 or even 15/45. Some of the good riders on this Forum have gone as low as 14/46, which will be as quick as a GSX1000R off the line, but you'll pay in fuel and tyre bills, and reduced engine life.
Keep the parts, save for new tyres, and buy good ones like Bridgestone, Michelin, Metzeler or Pirelli - you'll be glad you did.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:59 AM

Hi, Shadow talks a lot of sense, as usual. Or is that for a change? Anyway, he is dead right IMO abou the tyres, seats and the fact you will soon get used to the bike.

Personally, I would say sell the other items if you don't like the idea of using them, either because you want to keep the bike stock or it's not worth putting them on the bike. Personally I prefer to keep my bike as standard as possible as the R&D time spent by the bike manufacturer must be better than some after sales firm... For example my new dark windshield that fits far from perfectly [:@]

I would use the money to get the forks etc sorted (and the tyres). Get the suspension set up properly first.

Good luck with the sales, if that's the route you decide to go.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:03 AM

Flogger's also making sense (for once ?)But a brand new tank ? Priceless........You'll end up rebuilding your bike (we all do) at some point, especially as you say it's a bit shoddy, and as for "Putting lipstick on a pig"...hmmmmmm my neighbour's wife might take offence..he he
Just to hijack the thread for a moment - maybe we should keep a register of manufacturers whose parts don't fit well, and don't co-operate when It's brought to their attention ? I know Hardcorp(Hi Gunny) had a similar problem with his screen.....?
At the end of the day, it's your decision, but when you find out how difficult it is to get new parts for the 90/91s and earlier, you may regret selling the bits.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:28 AM

Good thinking, most sites have a "name and shame" and/or "recommended" thread(s).

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  4.4 KBIs this a picture of the trouble and strife Shadow?

Have just clicked on the link; these are items which I am sure would save someone a packet... you guys with the older models may want have a butcher's hook, get yourselves down to yourpedal and crankand withdraw some pie and mash.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:16 AM

Well, better get up them apples and pears, before the trouble and strife gets in........love Cockney rhyming slang - had a mate from the Bow Bells.......and no, not a good pic of the real Mrs Shadow, mine's better looking..........
Link ? what link ? Did you forget again ? Talk about me being an old codger...........
Sorry - hijacked the thread again - McFlogger made me do it.......[X(]

Old 03-26-2008, 10:26 AM

Shadow, get a grip man. THE link Freebie posted in his post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-26-2008, 10:37 AM

Oh, THAT link - saw that ages ago - thought you meant somewhere else.........
Be a little more specific for us OG's OK ? [8D]

Old 03-26-2008, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the input guys!

Quite honestly though, being as new to riding this thing as I am, I don't see me needing the performance parts anytime in the near future as I believe I still have quite a bit to learn and experience with this bike before I would even consider increasing performance. I started on a 100cc dual sport yamaha, then my first street bike was this CBR that I got last May.

Also, I'm also thinking that by the time I get comfortable with this bike and more confident in my riding, that by that time I'll be looking to upgrade somehow. I would like to get my wife interested in riding with me and the CBR just doesn't seem comfortable for her, so by the time I become a seasoned rider, I may be looking for a more tour-ish sport tourer.

I was thinking about what you said Shadow, and after reading that, I'm wondering if I should keep the parts. However, having a wife and 2 year old son, I don't want to do anything that may increase my risk of not being here for them, including more power. Plus, I think situations may be arising where I may need to use the money from selling the parts for other things of higher priority. Right now, just having a street motorcycle to ride is enough to make me happy.

I've already purchased my tires, Continental Road-Attacks. They came recommended by a friend and the price wasn't too bad. I figured since I'm not that much of an aggressive rider yet (I'm doing more vertical commuting with my bike for now) that these should tide me over for a while.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

The exhaust system looks tempting, but I like the fact that no one knows if I'm getting on it. With aftermarket exhaust, or even a slipon, everyone know's you're coming.