CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

I have a BAAAAAD feeling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 07:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a BAAAAAD feeling.

Ok, I think I screwed up. I left the petcock open on my 87. Now I think no. 1 carb is full again. Is this normal or do I have float valve issues?

By the way I bypassed the fuel pump. I guess I'll just have to start remembering to shut the thing off. unless you guys know somthing I don't. (usually the case)

Thanks,

Patrick

Old 03-28-2008, 07:52 AM
Default RE: I have a BAAAAAD feeling.

First off, leaving the petcock open is not going to fill up any carbs unless there is a problem like you mentioned of a sticking float needle. Unless you have an opening in the fuel circut someplace, as soon as you shut-off the bike the fuel will stop flowiing. Like putting your finger over one end of a straw in a glass of water and lifting out the straw. I always leave the fuel on unless I'm going to be storing the bike for a long period of time. Check for internal fuelleaks my friend.

Fuel pump? There is no fuel pump on these bikes. The fuel is gravitiy fed. Do you have a fuel injection kit or something aftermarket?

Old 03-28-2008, 08:01 AM

I have a fuel pump on mine

Old 03-28-2008, 08:40 AM

That would be a in-line fuel filter. And a good idea to have, although, I'd probably go with a smaller sized one....

One other thing, which side of the bike do you have this installed on? I was thinking that the filter might be facing the wrong direction if its on the left side of your bike....

Old 03-28-2008, 11:08 AM

no its definately a pump...electrical connections...and its loud when it runs...I also have a in line fuel filter closer to my carbs...
I did some research after my first post...and I guess the 87-88s came with fuel pumps and for 89 up the were gravity fed for reliability issues....I learn something new everyday

Heres a picture of it from the left side...In its im being fixed clothes...(I keep this tank for when im doing work so I dont scratch my other one

Old 03-28-2008, 01:42 PM

That drivechain is not over-lubed (somelinksmay besiezed).

Old 03-28-2008, 02:16 PM

Yea I have a new one....that picture is from when I first got the bike...but yea it was in bad shape

Old 03-28-2008, 02:20 PM

Yes I can see that it has come to a nice and cleanhome. I could eatON that floor, but not NEAR that bikeas it was whenyou firstgot it :-)

Old 03-28-2008, 02:23 PM

Yes, PA is right, 87 & 88 have pump, I bypassed it when it went out for $$$ reasons, in fact that is why this rebuild is going so slowly.

Man those float valves are high. I hope you don't have to replace the set.

Thanks for the help.

Patrick

Old 03-28-2008, 07:54 PM

I agree the float valves (needle & seat) are high priced. Not as bad as some other bikes but still ouch. Back to the original problem. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a vacuum valve as part of the petcock system? Normally on mine fuel can't flow until the engine is cranked.

Quick Reply: I have a BAAAAAD feeling.