CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

I HATE My Hurricane at the moment!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 02:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Harry_T_Hamster
hi - just a quickie as I am sat in an airport.
Your tyres sizes are good they wont need changing
Hey Harry - thats normally my trick - haha - where you get to - have you finished the manifold studs yet ?

Old 09-09-2009, 04:55 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just oil the chain................see if the noise goes away

Old 09-09-2009, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow
Just oil the chain................see if the noise goes away
Would love it if it was that simple May do that when i get home this evening.

I did run it to a garage for a quick assessment. they said there are a few 'tight' spots in the chain and so it will need replacing.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dean0
Hey Harry - thats normally my trick - haha - where you get to - have you finished the manifold studs yet ?
I am working in Denmark until friday night.

I will update my thread when I get a second - short version - your not getting rid of me that easy lol

Old 09-09-2009, 08:23 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think that the saddle problem may be due to the fact that you may have put the releasing tab back in 180 out (the part that slips into the lock mechanism). When you turn the key CCW the square or bent section pushes against the release releasing the saddle. When installed correctly the bent section faces forward. When it is installed 180 out it faces to the rear of the bike and when you turn the key CCW it rotates upward against the seat pan and comes to a dead stop. If you have removed the grab-rail, that’s most likely the issue.

I have done that myself. The only way I know how to get the saddle back off is to pry the side up while pushing the catch with a long screwdriver. It sucks because you will chip the paint on the grab-rail a little.

As far as the knocking goes, you may need to call in an Exorcist. You have some scary chit going on there my friend.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:13 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love to see a pic of that chain and front sprocket.........."sharks teeth"

Old 09-09-2009, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
I think that the saddle problem may be due to the fact that you may have put the releasing tab back in 180 out (the part that slips into the lock mechanism). When you turn the key CCW the square or bent section pushes against the release releasing the saddle. When installed correctly the bent section faces forward. When it is installed 180 out it faces to the rear of the bike and when you turn the key CCW it rotates upward against the seat pan and comes to a dead stop. If you have removed the grab-rail, that’s most likely the issue.

I have done that myself. The only way I know how to get the saddle back off is to pry the side up while pushing the catch with a long screwdriver. It sucks because you will chip the paint on the grab-rail a little.

As far as the knocking goes, you may need to call in an Exorcist. You have some scary chit going on there my friend.
That does sound like what hass happened....I had the bent bit facing the back of the bike as when it faced forward I don't see how it would turn to reach the release catch...maybe I should have consulted my Haynes manual

As for the exorcist...do you know where I can contact one? lol

Old 09-09-2009, 04:49 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

I've locked myself out the seat as well Taoist , you'll have to prise the seat up a little and wedge it so it doesn't spring back down .
Then try to trigger the release mechanism with a long narrow screwdriver . I used a flat bladed one and it will help if you can get a torch in there so you can see what your doing.

It took me about an hour of fiddling about , but I got it in the end , let me know if you want some under seat pictures , though mines a '91 they're probably the same or very similar .

Old 09-10-2009, 09:14 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Ha Ha Ha, That kills me hawkwind. It took me about an hour also. You need one hand on the prying tool, one hand on the screwdriver, one hand on the wedging tool, one hand on the flashlight and one hand on the bar of soap that you need to wash your mouth out with after all the four letter words spewing from the front of you face. That damn catch is buried up in there where you can't see it.

You will have to push the release from front to back. I am flying home tomorrow and can take a picture of the release mechanism and post it on Saturday, unless someone else can do it sooner. It would be a great help if you knew what you were up against.

Taoist, on thing you can put money on, after you get the saddle off, you won't do that again.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 09-10-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:56 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

Here's a pic of the under seat catch Taoist .

Normally you would twist the key which would turn the cam that you can see , this in turn pushes back on the catch to release the seat .

So your best bet is to push against the catch behind the cam (the bit in the U shape created by the cam).

Take your time , you'll get it in the end

Quick Reply: I HATE My Hurricane at the moment!!!