CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

I cut the tail of the CBR

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 07:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I cut the tail of the CBR

i cut the *** off the 88 cbr1000

before some of you jump all over me about it. i hunted for the parts to put the tail back to stock but after consulting the service manual i noticed there were a lot of mounts missing, for the new seat and tail pastics it was going to cost me well over 300 dollars Canadian to fix it, so i did some hunting on good ol ebay and found a 1999 buell x1 tailsection and seat. im sure some of you are going why but i really liked the look of it and figured i could easily make it fit the CBR

well i got the tail section yesterday an decided to see the fit...well with alittle modification to the front of the seat it will conform to the tank nicely

so i cut the tail off leaving myself lots of tail to get it just right.i couldnt get it where i wanted holding the tail myself but what i did was took a picture of the tail section then took a picture of the cbr and creatively aligned it to what i want it to look like

so here is the pic of what it should look close to when im done. im going to remove that pipe you see welding to the swing arm and make a custom tire hugger for it. i plan on plating the bottome of the tail so it looks nice an smooth, going to intergrate the blinkers into the tail light. paint the whole frame of the bike high gloss black then paint the tail,tank and front fender wet jet black and do a over under headlight setup or twin sv headlights and a acewell 2853ab speedometer and a small adjustable shorty exhaust that will just pop out from under the engine

i know some of you would hate to see this happen to a cane but when parts are few and far between and going to cost a arm and a leg, it has to be done...and i think it will look sharp when finished

Old 02-27-2010, 07:51 AM

I think it`s going to look good. Somtimes it`s good to do somthing different. You never know you might inspire me to fighter mine .....................................or maybe not .

Good luck with the build though mate.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:11 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good. I am not into the street fighter look either, but in your case it is an exception. It when someone that takes one that is in great looking condition and turns it into a good looking street fighter. There are not alot of these bikes left. IMO. FYI I would still ride with you guys anytime

Old 02-27-2010, 07:45 PM

+1 on props for the creativity. Im the kind of guy if the manual doesnt say do it. im pretty hesitant to try. My luck I screw something up and never get it back to proper working order.. I think we'll all be waiting for some updates & pics as it comes along.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

that isnt a big ol dent in the frame is it??

Other than that very creative n looks like it will look killer when done.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:17 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Makes her look like a much younger bike . If this kind of thing is done properly and with a bit of sympathy it can look good.