CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

I bought a new helmet

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 08:10 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing about a helmet is it's disposable, you drop it once you're supposed to replace it.

Now if I drop my brand new £500 helmet I'm gonna be reluctant to change it and hope that it will be all right.

If I drop my £50 helmet, I'll be a bit pi55ed but I'll go off to the shop and buy a replacement. Thanking my lucky stars all the way that I didn't shell-out for the £500 bugger!!

Old 09-09-2011, 08:23 PM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey:

I am with you on all points Classic, Hard to come up with a good reason why 2 helmets of the same brand with the same certs are $400.00 USD different, except money$$.

Also for me, The reason I am not hot on some polys, and I tend to really dislike them, is they fall apart after very little time as well as seem to explode on some impacts. Way more that other composite or fibre helmets do. I have slid a long ways on a Bell fiberglass/carbon model, it showed little damage when crashed and sent in back for a eval and was still good to the eye but had sub surface cracks. I have done a very close track crash on a composite one and it went thru to the styrofoam liner not good when you look at it. The guy that crashed next to me had a full poly helmet that came apart like a grenade. All were ok, all helmets never to be used again, but the visuals were very different.

Also I have seen a demo that had some old vintage Bell, Arai and Simpson helmets against some new polys and all the vintage ones took more impact to crack open and a few were over 35 yrs old.

Dub

Last edited by CBR1988; 09-09-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic;
If reasonably priced good polly helmets were responsible for killing or maiming a significant amount more riders than fibre glass lids , then they would be banned and the media would go nuts at the manufactures .........
Hey:

Well I don't think Worldwide the media would care as most hate motocyclists, as they think all are bikers and drive death traps anyway, so why even wear a helmet. The more that get killed off the better. It is the bikers fault when a cager hits them while on the mobile running a stop sign. Speeders and criminals the whole lot.

Just like poorly made inferior tools no one will say anything bad about the helmets, as no one wants to be caught up in a cultural or country bias as they equate that to racism a very bad word in the media.

In the States we had a major network news anchor lobby for a ban on motorcycles in his home area as they cause noise and cost to much when they crash on clean up. He succeeded. He was later dismissed for a comment he made about the Pres.

So I do not think the media would come to any motorcyclists defense but would gladly link them all to criminal activety if they could.

Dub

Last edited by CBRclassic; 09-10-2011 at 03:57 AM. Reason: To fix the quote marks
Old 09-10-2011, 09:33 AM

Hey:

I know but makes for a good windup. I had a real witty and fact filled reply but my new little Bob Bengal Kitty found out how to Jump on the keyboard from across the room to delete my post while I was typing it, the cheeky little bugger. Oh well the great debate shall go on, another time.
So here is a kitty video instead Not mine but very similar.
Dub

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-H2L...feature=relmfu

Last edited by CBR1988; 09-10-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:00 PM

you look like a wombat man CBRclassic j/k

i just found out that my pricey shark s900 helmet only got 4 stars on that link posted
a few pages ago.. darn lol

Quick Reply: I bought a new helmet