CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

I bought a new helmet

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 12:26 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I bought a new helmet

It's the one in my avatar - made by MASEI (also known as HEAD) At least that's what the liner says - I suspect the shells are made in China (like everything else these days) and they fit the HEAD running gear in them.
Came from China, very fair paint job, and pretty comfortable.
Price was stooooopid - $60 US INCLUDING POSTAGE.(postage cost more than the helmet) The dark visor was an extra $15. Bit of a pig to change, similar system to the HJC.
I wasn't really expecting much, but must confess I have been pleasantly surprised at the overall quality. It's not an Arai or a Shoei, but at 1/10th the price of one of those, it seems like quite a fair noodle cover.
I'll do some road tests and if I survive and the wind noise doesn't deafen me, I'll do a more comprehensive report.
Here's a pic

If all else fails I can easily sell it for a profit.

Attached Thumbnails I bought a new helmet-masei-2.jpg  
Old 09-09-2011, 02:03 AM
Welcome Crew

There are some pretty good deals getting around on helmets, I got 2 one blue one red and 2 spare mirrored visors for about $170 delivered. Only thing to look out for is make sure it is made to some safety standard, mine have an Oz standard sticker on them. I do notice a fair bit of wind noise from them but they will do the trick until find something better. These were more comfy than the $175 rjays helmets at the shop. 2 for the price of one!

Old 09-09-2011, 02:56 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Shadow
If all else fails I can easily sell it for a profit.
If all else fails you may not be in a position to sell it for a profit.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:59 AM

Well if that happens it won't be my problem - hehe
It does have DOT certification though, so can't be too bad.
Time will tell.

That looks like a nice lid for the price, Steve-o. My new one has removable cheekpads, but fixed lining so will have to wear a silk beanie to keep it clean. It'll be fun in the summer heat

Old 09-09-2011, 04:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First time I hear about this brand mate.
Let us know about noise at 100km/h, although no helmet nowadays will keep you in silence at that speed...

Old 09-09-2011, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
There is and has been so much hype over top priced helmets over the years that I have lost the faith ...

I am yet to ever see an article on a helmet , any helmet that saved a rider from a head on with a truck! , tree! , or road side barrier! ect ect .... lolol and yer I know that was possibly not funny , but you get my drift !!
True, I think the old bean pod is there to take a glancing blow off the pavement, not a full-on impact at anything much above walking speed. Your neck would probably snap like a carrot anyway. But if we worried about all the what-iffs none of us would ever ride again

Most injuries in this country are either snapped necks or body parts removed.
In many cases the helmet doesn't have a scratch.
None of which matters though if you've just been given a harp and a cloud to sit on. In your case I'm sure tho' you'll get a shovel and fireproof underwear.. hehe

Old 09-09-2011, 05:48 AM

At 100 KPH - not much noise at all - I have a touring screen on my bike so may be a bit more with a shorter one. Above 140, quite a bit of noise and at 180 it get's quite annoying. The helmet is stable at up to 180KPH - more later on that(I didn't go any faster than that).The airflow through the helmet is good at any speed, seems to come up under your cheekbones.It doesn't whistle though just windrush which is a good thing. May be able to adjust the visor seal, not sure atm.
It's only 1350Gms so about 150-200 Gms lighter than my Arai Quantum, and the decrease in weight is quite noticeable, very nice.
Has a ratchet-type strap instead of the D-ring but seems secure enough.
I'll give more feedback when I've had a chance to use it on a longer run.
Still for the price a good investment I'd say, so far.

Masei helmet | eBay

Quick Reply: I bought a new helmet