CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

I bought a new helmet

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 10:25 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a nice helmet Pete, I've always thought there's a lot of brand snobbery around helmets. That's why the brand name is emblazoned across the front to let other riders know you have a cool helmet

My helmet is a Lazer Lz6 Sharp 5 star rated and only cost £60. It's getting on a bit now, but my next helmet won't cost the earth, might stretch it to £70 if I'm feeling flush.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually there are many helmets 5-starred with a price under 100 pounds!

SHARP Helmets

Old 09-09-2011, 10:50 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

True,Hawk true.
Stickers are cheap though so you can call anything whatever I guess.
I've taken the Masei stickers off it already,(unlike Arai the stickers aren't under the clearcoat) so now it's a "no name brand" hehe
Maybe I'll call it a Cupcake Special hehe

This is true
This one is DOT cert and cost under 40 quid, so still a bargain.
The biggest problem is FIT when buying a helmet on the internet, unless you can try one at your local bike shop. We don't have many options here, and this one (luckily) fits my Arai/Shoei head pretty well.
At the price I'd have no problem selling it here if it was not what I needed.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:52 AM

I hope we don't see you around with a fake Shoei stick in your helmet!! XD

2x SHOEI Helmet Sticker: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

Last edited by hebbo; 09-09-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow
True,Hawk true.
Stickers are cheap though so you can call anything whatever I guess.
I've taken the Masei stickers off it already,(unlike Arai the stickers aren't under the clearcoat) so now it's a "no name brand" hehe
Maybe I'll call it a Cupcake Special hehe

This is true
This one is DOT cert and cost under 40 quid, so still a bargain.
The biggest problem is FIT when buying a helmet on the internet, unless you can try one at your local bike shop. We don't have many options here, and this one (luckily) fits my Arai/Shoei head pretty well.
At the price I'd have no problem selling it here if it was not what I needed.
Is there any website where to check whether a helmet is compliance with DOT certification?

Old 09-09-2011, 11:44 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hebbo
Is there any website where to check whether a helmet is compliance with DOT certification?
The AD or more importantly the stickers inside it. Some are DOT and some are Snell. Some have both. I believe Snell is a better rating for racing applications but may not be DOT approved. You need the DOT sticker at minimal. Both is better.

A point to remember is shield replacement. Price and availability. A friend of mine doesn't use his Shoei because the shield is $85 US. I replace mine (1-tinted + 1-clear) every year @ $32 ea. I have HJC but they are noisy.

$60 is what I am looking to pay out for a motocross type helmet for when I am out on my DR. It has to be DOT.

Edit: I came across this one. LINK I think I will pass.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 09-09-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:53 PM

You may find this interesting - I did.

Most motorcycle helmet standards use impacts at speeds between 4–7 m/s (9–16 mph). While motorcyclists frequently ride at speeds higher than 20 m/s (45 mph), the perpendicular impact speed of the helmet is usually not the same as the road speed of the motorcycle, and the severity of the impact is determined not only by the speed of the head but also by the surface it hits and the angle of impact. Since the surface of the road is almost parallel to the direction a motorcyclist moves while driving, only a small component of their velocity is directed perpendicularly (though other surfaces may be perpendicular to the motorcyclist's velocity, such as trees, walls, and the sides of other vehicles). The severity of an impact is also influenced by the nature of the surface struck. The sheet metal wall of a car door may bend inwards to a depth of 7.5–10 cm (3.0–3.9 in)ch) during a helmeted-head impact, allowing more stopping distance for the rider's head than the helmet itself. A perpendicular impact against a flat steel anvil at 5 m/s (11 mph) may be of approximate severity to an oblique impact against a concrete surface at 30 m/s (67 mph) or a perpendicular impact against a sheet metal car door or windscreen at 30 m/s. Since there is a wide range of severity in the impacts that could happen in a motorcycle accident, some will be more severe than the impacts used in the standard tests and some will be less.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by hebbo
I hope we don't see you around with a fake Shoei stick in your helmet!! XD

2x SHOEI Helmet Sticker: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike
No, I think not - I'd be laughed off the road by all my mates who know who makes what helmets.
Maybe a special "Cupcake Mk1" would be the best. Or maybe one of those that looks like Arai, but says **** hehe

Old 09-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

Hey:

I wear Bell, but like AGV, Arai, and Simpson as well.

I usually tell folks I know that are buying helmets with a new or first bike to buy these as I am not a big fan of some of the poly helmets after seeing what happens to them after a crash.

I rather buy a closeout helmet like these:

DOT
FiberGlass Full Face Motorcycle Helmet +2 Visor DOT ~XL | eBay

Same as CycleGear stuff if I recall
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Zox-T...item2c5f2cb73d

Flip up DOT
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Zox-N...item5645fecf5c

Snell & DOT
SYKO Sport Full Street Helmet Yellow Graphic S - XXL | eBay

or if your are into the Pink
or maybe some of you guys would like the cupcakes fan or beaatch model LOL!
New Full Face Pink DOT Approved Street Motorcycle Helmet Large L | eBay

Only thing to watch for is how current a Snell cert is as they are only good for 5-10 yrs and then they can not be used at most track events if they do go over that. Also their are plenty of good helmets out nowadays, and it is hard to tell sometimes from JUNK China cloned moped type uncertified helmets and the real deal untill its too late.

Dub

Last edited by CBR1988; 09-09-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:35 PM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

Hey:

TimBucTwo:
"A point to remember is shield replacement. Price and availability. A friend of mine doesn't use his Shoei because the shield is $85 US. I replace mine (1-tinted + 1-clear) every year @ $32 ea. I have HJC but they are noisy."

Good Point, Thats a big reason. Most folks forget about spares when buying a helmet and to choose one helmet over another all else being the same in favor of less expensive shields.

TimBucTwo:
"$60 is what I am looking to pay out for a motocross type helmet for when I am out on my DR. It has to be DOT."

Lots of good ones out there, look at some closeouts a better new helmet leftover from last year.BELL MOTO 7R RUDE BOY MX HELMET ADULT XLARGE | eBay

TimBucTwo:
"Edit: I came across this one. LINK I think I will pass."

These Masei are a really a popular helmet brand in Japan they make Star Wars type, Scream, and Power Ranger models, I am surprised Shadow did not get one of the Star Wars Storm Trooper or Power Ranger models.

Good luck in your search, or how about this

Dub

Attached Thumbnails I bought a new helmet-380331762_o.jpg   I bought a new helmet-385839082_o.jpg  

Last edited by CBR1988; 09-10-2011 at 12:40 PM.

Quick Reply: I bought a new helmet