CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

I am DEPRESSED!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am DEPRESSED!

We just came back last week from our annual trip to west Texas... The CBR is running STRONG, still pulls like a freight train and still fast!! I was flipping it through corners like it was 150 pounds lighter with a shorter wheelbase and making the guys behind me struggle to keep up, it was great fun!! Just in case ya'll didn't know I switched to the Continental Motion tires, and they peformed WELL!!! I prefer the Continental Roads because of their profile, but for the price I got the motions for I was impressed.

The sad part is, through the whole trip I could hear my cam chain rattling... The tensioner is ONLY 1.5 yrs old, and the chain constantly made noise. Come on, someone give me some positive information here!! I know what that means! Sounds like the cam chain is finally toasted... The way I am, I would split the cases and rebuild that motor for fear of the chain breaking or skipping!! Do any of you guys hear the same noise while riding down the highway?? I could hear it winding up and slowing down. It use to get quiet when it got warm, now I can hear it, not as loud but I can hear it. Throw some good info my way please.. I have put my CBR in the garage and pulled out my Gixxer 2k5 and I fear of getting another 300 dollar ticket!!!!! The dang thing is tooooooooo fast! Hehehe.. I can't stop it from doing over a 100!! HEEEEELLLP!!!

Old 05-16-2009, 10:57 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Firefox11
We just came back last week from our annual trip to west Texas... The CBR is running STRONG, still pulls like a freight train and still fast!! I was flipping it through corners like it was 150 pounds lighter with a shorter wheelbase and making the guys behind me struggle to keep up, it was great fun!! Just in case ya'll didn't know I switched to the Continental Motion tires, and they peformed WELL!!! I prefer the Continental Roads because of their profile, but for the price I got the motions for I was impressed.

The sad part is, through the whole trip I could hear my cam chain rattling... The tensioner is ONLY 1.5 yrs old, and the chain constantly made noise. Come on, someone give me some positive information here!! I know what that means! Sounds like the cam chain is finally toasted... The way I am, I would split the cases and rebuild that motor for fear of the chain breaking or skipping!! Do any of you guys hear the same noise while riding down the highway?? I could hear it winding up and slowing down. It use to get quiet when it got warm, now I can hear it, not as loud but I can hear it. Throw some good info my way please.. I have put my CBR in the garage and pulled out my Gixxer 2k5 and I fear of getting another 300 dollar ticket!!!!! The dang thing is tooooooooo fast! Hehehe.. I can't stop it from doing over a 100!! HEEEEELLLP!!!
May be your engine balance shaft, but if you can hear the chain on the highway........EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK
Buy a DID chain and you can do the job with the motor in the bike.I did mine yesterday !

Old 05-18-2009, 01:45 AM

Replacing the chain without splitting the cases huh?? Sounds like your speaking of replacing the chain like u would the chain and sprocket on your tires except inside the engine. So ur saying align the cam chains in TDC then break the old chain, tie the masterlink old chain to the new and then feed it through the engine until the new chain is all the way through right??? So why do you suggest a DID chain??? Isn't that a rear sprocket chain??? Or do they make a cam chain as well??? If that can be done, I would prefer to do that and replace the CCT.

CBR Classic - In te year and a half I have had that CCT on it, I have put a solid 17,000 miles on it.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:02 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Firefox11
Replacing the chain without splitting the cases huh?? Sounds like your speaking of replacing the chain like u would the chain and sprocket on your tires except inside the engine. So ur saying align the cam chains in TDC then break the old chain, tie the masterlink old chain to the new and then feed it through the engine until the new chain is all the way through right??? So why do you suggest a DID chain??? Isn't that a rear sprocket chain??? Or do they make a cam chain as well??? If that can be done, I would prefer to do that and replace the CCT.

CBR Classic - In te year and a half I have had that CCT on it, I have put a solid 17,000 miles on it.
DID make a chain with a master link - 150 links/pins is what you need. We get the DID412HD chain here which has 152 links so I grind away two pins and fit the new chain with 150 links.Any of the manufacturers like Takasago will be fine. As for the rest you are correct. I lay a cloth over the open engine space and grind away a link on the old chain (don't have a splitter) and tie off the ends so it can't fall into the engine.
If you need more let me know, as my engine is open at the moment.

Attached Thumbnails I am DEPRESSED!-camchain.jpg  
Old 05-18-2009, 04:34 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Shadow , have you bothered to change all the cam-chain guides as well , or is it not really worth doing them

Old 05-18-2009, 05:03 AM
Ride of the Year ... Just Ask The Boys

I know i am new to the whole CBR thing, but i need to ask, is the cam chain the "weak link" of this bike?

Or am i just worrying over nothing?

Aussie Johnno

Quick Reply: I am DEPRESSED!