CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Hurricane rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 02:17 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cheers for the replies and banter , sounds like a good idea for the meet up (not to sure about the threesome,tribedextrous,amphibious ect) but then me dad told me if you need a ride take it when you can

managed to get back out to the shed again, and have managed to check,clean and repair all the wiring down the left hand side (thank god for multimeters).

your not wrong about the headlight fairing (it fell in half at the bottom) when i took it off, couldnt believe my luck though, i got another in good nick for £25 i have kept his number just incase i need any more bits.

will add somemore pics as i go and keep the banter up, and cheers for the offers of advise, i will no doubt need it

Old 01-06-2013, 03:04 PM
Welcome Crew

managed another couple of hours on the hurricane today.
ive added a couple of pics of the cleaned up bike and the cleaned wiring,she`s not to bad now all the cruds off (bit of touching up to the black here and there,so today i have,
sanded down the belly pan, and had a good look at the seat fairing which is broke by the rear light and has a few deep gouges in, a quick phone call and ive sourced a better one,so i will use the better one and can repair the other at my lesiure, i have ordered all the wheel and sprocket carrier bearings ready for the wheels to come out, my delvic pipes have arrived and lookgood, so they`ve been put away (well wrapped), back to work this week so no more escape to the shed till the weekend

Attached Thumbnails Hurricane rebuild-phone-pics-146.jpg   Hurricane rebuild-phone-pics-147.jpg  
Old 01-06-2013, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Looking good wheelnut!

What pipes are on it now?

Cheers, SB

Old 01-07-2013, 03:52 AM
Welcome Crew

a set of nexus pipes, same as originals and take the heat shields, the delvics wont, the nexus pipes are in ok`ish condition but are a bit quiet for my liking, so when i get round to removing the swinging arm for rebuilding and painting i will swap the pipes over, and hopefully get a nice bark to her.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:14 PM

Anybody got an extra set of carbs for a 1990? Or at least point me in the right direction?

Old 01-12-2013, 09:09 AM
Welcome Crew

thanks to my good wife i managed to get out to the hurricane again last night for a few hours.

so for this weeks update i have,
cleaned and repaired the wiring down the right hand side of the bike, a previous owner had made a few bodges, where the main fuse hooks up was in a right mess, so that had to come out for a clean and repair .

i have carried on with the fairing pannels,ready for painting, the left hand side main pannel is in a bit of a state, but repairable, an hour with the hairdryer and plastic scrapper had all the decals off and the carbon fibre look covers (they are covering the cracks in the pannel .

still loads to do so this may be a long thread, but i really enjoy messing about with bikes as well as riding them .

Attached Thumbnails Hurricane rebuild-image0296.jpg   Hurricane rebuild-image0297.jpg   Hurricane rebuild-image0299.jpg   Hurricane rebuild-image0301.jpg   Hurricane rebuild-image0302.jpg  

Old 01-13-2013, 01:40 PM
Welcome Crew
Default note to ones self

oh the joy of messing around with bikes

pulled the hurricane out of the shed today to run her up for a while, now anyone reading the thread knows i had the main fuse and starter relay out on friday because it was a bit of a mess,
so turned on the ignition all the lights come on, thumb the starter and naff all, no click nowt,

now if i ever give advise (which aint very often) about bikes its allways start with the simplest first

so i think well ive only had the realay/fuse out so i`ll start with that, fuse ok,check id connected it back up ok (yep), now instead of following my own advice (and check the other fuses first) oh no i check out all the relevant wiring on the starter side and then check the relay works, i get a click, so its not that, then i check the fuse box and find blown fuses
so ive wasted an hour to get the hurricane running (doh!), all i can assume is that when i diconnected the battery to sort out the main fuse, when jugling the positive lead about it made contact,

so note to self ALLWAYS DISCONECT BOTH BATTERY TERMINALS AND ALLWAYS FOLLOW ONES OWN ADVICE,

Old 01-13-2013, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I can relate to that Wheelnut.

Charged my bike up, and thumbed the starter, nowt. zip, nada, nothing.................. WTF??

After 10 minutes of checking everything I finally looked at the Kill Switch which was in the Off position - D'oh!!

You're doing great work on the bike, keep it up.

Cheers, SB

Old 01-14-2013, 03:39 AM
Welcome Crew

i think we all do it at some point sb, i will try to update every week, some of the pannels have slowed down the process as they need alot of repairing, but that said for a 25 year old bike they could be worse, and it gets me out of the house of a weekend

Old 01-20-2013, 02:30 PM
Welcome Crew
Default update

didnt get loads done this weekend due to the uk comming to a
standstill after a few flakes of snow, it happens every time it snows

so here goes,
the left hand main fairing pannel i took of last week with the split in has now been repaired and is ready for primer and paint, so it can go with the rest of the to paint pannels,

the rear light mounting lugs on my unit were broke, so they have been repaired,

getting ready to strip the front end out, i dowsed all the bolts(calliper,disc,axle bolt and clamps) in wd40 last week and have loosened them all off, i only had 2 disc bolts that played up, but my impact wrench freed them up, so next week i will dowse all the fork clamp bolts ready for undoing,

im hoping next week to get on a bit more

Attached Thumbnails Hurricane rebuild-phone-pics-148.jpg   Hurricane rebuild-phone-pics-152.jpg   Hurricane rebuild-phone-pics-150.jpg   Hurricane rebuild-phone-pics-149.jpg   Hurricane rebuild-phone-pics-151.jpg  

Quick Reply: Hurricane rebuild