CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

how to remove carbs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 11:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: how to remove carbs?

Slowpoke.........all 4 of the plastic pistons fall slowly, what do you suggest?
________
Vaporizer Help

Last edited by Rick619; 03-21-2011 at 03:39 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:27 AM

ORIGINAL: Rick619

Slowpoke.........all 4 of the plastic pistons fall slowly, what do you suggest?
First, I'll tell you that the 93 carbs are slightly different from my 90's carbs. Mostly in how the floats are set, and where the carb sync plugs are located (on your intake manifold I believe) and the sync adjusting screw locations.

Assuming you have a Haynes or Honda manual, I would clean the float chambers first. I would work on one carb at a time. After taking off the float chamber cover, unscrew the slow jet and spray carb cleaner through it (wear eye protection). Should spray in a fine stream out the other side. Then I would spray some cleaner into the small passageways in the intake and in the outlet. Then I would check the float level. If it's off, I don't know how to adjust yours, so do a search on this forum. Remember, everything is brass or pot metal, so take your time and don't be ham-fisted.

After you've done all four float chambers, you are ready to take off the vacuum chamber cover. Use the best screwdriver you have to take out the four screws. If you got all four screws out without stripping the head, congrats, as you've done the hardest part. There is a large spring directly under the cover. It's not real strong, but don't let it hit you in the eye or fall on the ground.

The hollow, plastic piston is under the spring. A large, floppy diaphram is attached to the top of the piston. The edge of the diaphram forms an O-ring that seals the vacuum chamber. Attached underneath the piston is the jet needle. Gently pull the piston/diaphram/jet needle up from the piston wall. Be careful with it. Spray some carb cleaner onto a rag or paper towel and carefully clean the plastic piston. Avoid getting carb cleaner on the rubber diaphram. There should be black muck on your towel. Place the clean piston on a clean towel.

Now spray some carb cleaner on the walls where the piston slides and clean with a towel. Should see more black muck on the towel. Now, looking in the chamber where the piston/diaphram resides, you should see two or three jets or air bleeds. You should spray carb cleaner down each one. I forget which one, but you have to hold the choke open while you spray carb cleaner in one of the jets or it sprays back in your face. You are wearing safety glasses? Anyway, air from this jet raises the piston when you put the choke on.

Everythings clean. Now go get a jar of Vasoline. Use small dabs and partly fill the O-ring groove where the O-ring from the piston diaphram resides. This holds the O-ring in place while you are screwing the top down. But more importantly, it provides a positive seal for the vacuum chamber. The O-ring should have a little lip that provides the correct location in the groove. Very carefully, slide the piston/jet into the piston walls. DON'T FORCE IT. The needle jet has to go into it's little main jet. With the needle jet in it's main jet, the piston in it's wall, and the O-ring in it's groove (and in the right location), you can add the spring, put on the cover, and screw it down. Lifting the piston, it should fall down smartly. Only three more to go.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:57 AM

Thanks for that write-up, that helps a lot.I'll try to clean up these carbs in the next few days and see how it goes. thanks again
________
Volcano Digital Review

Last edited by Rick619; 03-21-2011 at 03:39 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:17 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Excellent write up, Slowpoke !
May I suggest you keep it some where, because this will come up again in the next few months, guaranteed !