CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

How hard do you push your heavyweight? (Post Pics!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 02:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How hard do you push your heavyweight? (Post Pics!)

Awesome photos...

I love to ride my CBR hard as well! The only problem is, it becomes second nature to ride her like that everywhere!!! I try to keep the throttle hand under control but here lately 125 around some nice sweepers here in town blazing by traffic has become 2nd nature!!

If I had leather pants (Working on that one) I fully plan to lean off as well!! I do anyway, but when you feel your pants dancing against the ground it isn't too good of an idea!! I wish I could find a pair of strap on sliders!!! I would be game for that!!

HeavyCBR, I understand what your talking about... I prefer the lean off, but when I'm running around those high speed sweepers I prefer to tuck behind the windscreen and lean the bike over. I guess its a speed mentality, less resistance in the wind you slip through the corners cleaner and faster. Duhhh, did I say I was doing that on public streets?? Bad fox.. Ughhh..

I just recently obtained a 1993 FZR 600 with 9,500 miles for free!! Yeeeeeha! It was dropped on its side and the fairings on that side are missing and the front is cracked. I got it running, and fixed the back brakes.. Waiting now for the front fairing, side cowling, steel braided brake lines, and tires. I have ridden one of these a few months ago, and they are FUNNNN in the corners! I'm a big guy myself (250 lbs) but that little FZR will be FUN FUN FUNNN on the track. I plan on putting stage 1 jet kit in her, as well as the ignition advance (5 degrees) with a super psych job. But bone stock, she will do niiiice 2nd and 3rd gear power wheelies!! But just imagine 200 lbs lighter than the CBR, and with the stage 1's and the ignition advance it should produce 98 hp. It makes my CBR feel SUPER heavy!!

Anyway, keep it safe out there!! Have fun riding, and keep regulating those 600's and letting them know that the 'ole CBR can still get it done in style.

[IMG]local://upfiles/998/4A9238B0CCC445E0B6E80C63580478C8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/998/BEB2A271C9E6432EB3E897C83C9D9C0D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-22-2006, 03:47 AM

Those are some nice looking ride Fox! Love the retro attitude of the FZR, would deff look better with the rear wheel brought to match the front!

As far as tucking in on highspeed sweepers.........it depends on what you consider high speed. The photos that are in my photo gallery are mostly all taken on Yarnell Hill in Arizona where the limit is 45mph and Sportbike speed is anywhere from 75 on up.......I hang off just about every corner, not sure of my speed on every corner but I know that up that hill I never dip below 85 mph......
Below is the link to a vid if anyone is intersted...not the greatest quality but I still find it much better than pics! Also, notice how my buddy on the SV650 can not only keep up, but can also change lines, and take corners much tighter and easier than I! Once I choose a line, I find it very hard to pull it in any tighter, where as my buddy weaves tight/wide/tight/wide like he's going 20mph!......damn I need a lighter bike!

http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...arnellHill.flv

P.S. This video was filmed prior to me having ever drug a knee, no knee sliders or leather in this video, just denim [sm=nono.gif]

Old 12-23-2006, 01:19 AM

Thanks for the compliments! I was definately going to match the front tire with the rear. I like the purple rims myself. My buddy at work says it looks gay! Whatever!

I take some pretty tight sections with my CBR in the 90's. But it may be easier for me to get her to turn, cuz I don't have any problems with correction in corners. Then again, I probably weigh a lot more than u, so my extra tonage out there will help. Hahaha.. The FZR, turns in so easy its crazy! I bet the SV is very similar as well. I definately love the retro look. Since my buddy has already offered me 1,000 dollars over bluebook for it, I'm having a hard time keeping her. I would love a nice Hurricane 600 though. They are a little meaty, and makes me feel a little more comfortable since I'm no small guy.

The video is cool. I would have been flyyyyin on that! Most of the roads around me here are pretty technical, not like those nice sweepers. I know where there are some sweepers like those, about 80 miles from me here. I have been trying to find that place again, it was almost 45 min of transitional sweepers. Some a little tighter than others, but fun fun fun.

I got a buddies camera mount a few months ago, and never tried it. Maybe I will get my buddy on his R1 and we go do some nasty stuff and I'll take some dig videos and post em. Just hard to do that during the christmas season with the cages running the streets like maniacs!!! Good grief.

Old 12-23-2006, 06:18 AM

The difference in the movieis not mainlycaused by the SV650-1KF, your buddy uses the road much better and is more on the right side which one should on public roads. You need to practice the linechoices a lotto use more of the bikes fullpotential. Don’t take me wrong, its just for your own safety and possibilities to run muchs faster. Again, start to learn the line choices etc on a track that will also make you go faster and much safer on the roads. It is especially in the left turns where you get quite wrong, you start from the left side on don’t take height enough from right side. Its normal to have too much respect for the area outside the right side, but it is far more dangerous to start on the left side in left turns and it reduces the speed. If you meet a car in left turns that comes in the middle of the rod mid corners, which is not uncommon, that could be your last trip. In case you normally stay on your side and only pass the middle where you have full visibility, you will be much safer and can still go that pace and faster with ease.

Old 12-23-2006, 12:36 PM

I understand what you are saying about road use, but at the same time I don't fully agree. Since we move up that hill at 50mph OVER the posted limit, I preffer to stay OUT of the right lane since it's full of slow moving traffic. Also, seeings as how it is a public road, I try to stay in one lane as much as possible, even if that means sacraficing the best line around a corner, whereas Bruce will cut across both lanes on just about every corner....We both treat it like a racetrack, he's just taking it to the next level.

Old 12-23-2006, 06:19 PM

ORIGINAL: HeavyCBR

I understand what you are saying about road use, but at the same time I don't fully agree. Since we move up that hill at 50mph OVER the posted limit, I preffer to stay OUT of the right lane since it's full of slow moving traffic. Also, seeings as how it is a public road, I try to stay in one lane as much as possible, even if that means sacraficing the best line around a corner, whereas Bruce will cut across both lanes on just about every corner....We both treat it like a racetrack, he's just taking it to the next level.
I understand, but you are missing thepoint.With the correctline true curves, you'll be much faster on trackand on publicroads, and eliminate the riskto meet vehiclesin the wrong side. There is no problem whatsover to change line in curves with the Hurricane as with the Sv650, you just need to put more force tothe counter steering.

Old 12-23-2006, 09:29 PM

Kewl maybe you help me on a situation I faced the other day. I was coming over a crest at a fair rate of speed and I realised the roaded went to the right. But I couldn't turn the bike as it was in mid air. :P

Actually I dunno if its a local this is just a local thing due to the narraw roads here in West Australia, but quite a lot of the time you can't take the optimal line through a corner as we have quite a problem with gravel on the road.

Old 12-23-2006, 11:27 PM

Interesting... When I go railing through the streets like that most of the time its two lane roads. In that instance you HAVE to stay on your side of the road or you will be against oncoming traffic!!! Not a good thing. And normally here in Texas, that means real hilly area and that normally means blind turns. In that instance, you can only apex a corner inside your own lane! I have had no problems hitting 35mph med tight corners at well into 90-95 mph. But I tell you what, since you don't have much time to setup to apex the corner your timing has to be spot on! I rarely do that in those situations because of the lean factor usually means your head and chest area is over that double yellow line, and I don't feel too comfortable doing that!!! On top of that Trips is right, there is little marbles of gravel on the edges of the road. I have had to deal with that a couple of times, pucker factor is not cool when your hanging off the bike at some speeds!!! Big Bike + Marble Gravel on edges of the road = Lowside and lots of pain!!

Something else you guys do that I don't like, crossing those stripes on the road can be SCARY!!! Esp fresh paint!! Here in Tx, I have slipped on them just doing the speed limit!! If it rains, STAY AWAY! But even when its dry, I don't like to touch them at all! Becareful railin on em! A slip railing at speed and the back tire goes out can create a lack of a seat because your pucker factor ripped it off! Not trying to school u on riding or anything, just giving you some things to think about.

Its funny that I talk about railing around corners like a maniac, and killing sweepers, and the thing that caused me to crash was another rider. Geeze... Definately make sure the person you decide to go killing turns with truly understands the rules of riding before you go with them! I found out the hard way! I like to take them out on some short spirts and watch them ride to see if they can really handle the bike properly. It could be the difference between riding again, or not being her to enjoy it. Seems like you and your buddy have been out and about together before, and he gives you plenty of room, that's a good thing. Don't be too competitive in the streets!!

Ya'll take it easy, I'm outta here.

Old 12-24-2006, 01:45 AM

I understand your fear of the painted line firefox! I have slid the rear out many times on painted lines, both in the wet and dry. Everytime it's a bit scary! On October 1 of this year, one of the lines finally won, althought I contribute the lowside more to cold tires than anything, I know the paint played a roll.....I was only going about 35around a 25mph turn, the aftermath was worse than I expected for such a slow crash! If you lay your 'Cane down, don't expect to ride away!

Old 12-24-2006, 12:23 PM

Hey My friend also broke the handle bar at that point (cluth side).... how did you fix yours back?

Quick Reply: How hard do you push your heavyweight? (Post Pics!)