CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

How hard do you push your heavyweight? (Post Pics!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 11:49 PM
dad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How hard do you push your heavyweight? (Post Pics!)

With the pipe covers in place, they scrape at the lowest point, almost a corner, straight back from the attachment point at the fairing. Unless there's a design change since '90/'91 but I don't think so. Mine have hit those corners and also one of the bolt button heads up on the can when they were attached and was my reason for removing the covers at the track.

When the peg's folding up I feel that and know how close I am. I consider the folding to be my reserve and knowing the realities of hitting hard parts, am reluctant to give that up. As soon as the bolts hit I feel it in my feet but still have some peg folding room as my reserve. With the pipe covers removed you get a little more room. By the time you're into the brake pedal you really are playing with fire. The pipe's literally fractions of an inch off the road. A bump could do it. The parts that give or fold aren't the trouble. It's the rigid ones like the centerstand or cans that ARE trouble!

Old 12-20-2006, 12:02 AM

I understand what you mean. You use the "feelers" just as they are intended......but for me, I just don't feel comfortable with them. I was never able to ride as hard as I do, until I got my leather pants. I much prefer to use my knee as a feeler than the peg bolts. With my knee, and the tip of my toe, I can get a very good feel for just how much lean I've got left. I suppose it's just different strokes for different folks.

<<== For example, in this pic, my knee is down and I'm able to tell that my toe/peg/exhaust are close to the ground aswell.....

Old 12-20-2006, 12:37 AM
dad

ORIGINAL: Motor_Fan
You Sir ROCK!
I read almost all of your posts and you amaze me! I hope one day I have the luck of meeting you. Till then Greatings and keep up the good work.
Paul
Well, thank-you for the kind words. If there's any truth to it, it's really just the result of 37 years of passion for riding, to the point of obsession.

If you ever find your way to the states, don't hesitate to contact me. Western Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh area. Maybe we could even hook you up with a ride. There's always a few bikes around here and we're not far from the West Virginia mountain roads. Great riding there.

Old 12-20-2006, 07:41 AM

Nice lines there Dad. You done this before?

I took the hero ***** off the pegs. I dunno if I was just unlucky, but I have had then dig in and unsettle the bike, especially on uneven back roads. But they are not needed anyway as I have a big feet and I go through a few pairs of toe sliders.

Just out of curiosity, do you ever hang right off the bike on the track? I find the big bike seems to be a bit more stable if I hang off less compared to a sportsbike.

Old 12-20-2006, 10:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Trips

Just out of curiosity, do you ever hang right off the bike on the track? I find the big bike seems to be a bit more stable if I hang off less compared to a sportsbike.
That's just the opposite of me. The more I ride the bike the more it seems I need to hang off in order to get the bike to do what I want and feel comfortable. If I sit more centered over the bike, it makes the bike lean more, whereas, if I hang way off, the bike can stand more upright and maintain a better contact patch.

Here's my best example...

Both pictures are off me in the same corner, at the same speed (85-90mph). Only difference is my body position and the lean angle of the bike. Notice in the first I'm over the bike and the peg is almost down. In the second pic I'm hanging way off and the bike is more upright.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6734/B0E769F0ACF24256848408D3FF8709E2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6734/C994B33CBEA74F8B94F900FF54C855DC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-20-2006, 02:08 PM

Here is a guy that sets the standard for hang off...

[IMG]local://upfiles/4562/B98DCA22639F41A2B6DD655F3B7FF8B4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-20-2006, 02:21 PM

Hmmm......interesting topic - i push fairly hard for what it is - i ride with a local forum group so unfortunately ain't got any pics of 90 degree lean
angles and whatnot (not that i can do that anyways!)

I do ride 2-up 99.9% of the time,and the hardest i've pushed my 1995 FS was 155mph in 5th (wouldn't pull it in 6th....) momentarily.

but it ain't something i'd wanna do consistantly...........

Old 12-20-2006, 06:48 PM

That's just the opposite of me. The more I ride the bike the more it seems I need to hang off in order to get the bike to do what I want and feel comfortable. If I sit more centered over the bike, it makes the bike lean more, whereas, if I hang way off, the bike can stand more upright and maintain a better contact patch.
On the slow corners I hang off, but on the bumpy 200kph+ corners that we have a lot of here I find the bike is more settled with me not hanging of as much. One thing I forgot to mention is that I am 300lbs!. So maybe the shifting of all that bodyweight to hang right off destabilises it and I'd be better off avoiding it.

Old 12-20-2006, 09:18 PM

I aint never done that

Is that Xaus?

Old 12-20-2006, 11:34 PM

ORIGINAL: R1000

Here is a guy that sets the standard for hang off...

[IMG]local://upfiles/4562/B98DCA22639F41A2B6DD655F3B7FF8B4.jpg[/IMG]

What about these guys?.....

Quick Reply: How hard do you push your heavyweight? (Post Pics!)