CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Horrible rumbling, down below

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horrible rumbling, down below

Hmmmm .... got some unearthly rumblings from the bike this week .... like a vibration that transfers through the bike and gets worse the faster you go ... you can even feel it through the bars ... I'm suspecting that it might be the chain & sprockets in need of replacement (mileage is currently 26k miles & the chain & sprockets are of unknown age .... chain is adjusted to about 3/4 inch of play and regularly lubed .... Just hope it's not the front sprocket carrier bearing that's on it's way out! .... Gonna drop it off with my mechanic in the morning, for some investigation ....

Hope it's some ceased links on the chain and nothing more serious

Rode to work & back this weekend & didn't get any urge to take it over 55mph!!!

Keep your fingers crossed for me!

shakey

Last edited by shakey; 08-12-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:28 PM

Why not try putting your bike on its center stand, starting her up, then putting her in first gear and slowly releasing the clutch, while watching the chain spin. You should see pretty quickly if the chain is binding up.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:45 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What are your tyres like?

Old 08-13-2012, 03:38 PM

PJ - tried that and there's a definate tight spot on the chain... so hopefully, that's the problem. Dropped it off this morning with my mech so he can check the gearbox output shaft bearing too ....

Jarvid ... tyres are almost like new and well balanced ... thanks for the input tho

Hopefully just chain & sprockets to replace and no damage to the output shaft bearing....

I'll report back when I know more

Cheers all

Old 08-13-2012, 05:04 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that counter shaft can take some serious abuse - I'd say you'll be gtg Shakey
with just new sprockets & chain

Old 08-13-2012, 05:22 PM

Cheers for that Sprock ... It regularly gets a lot of abuse, so that's good to know ...

I've gotta stop riding this bike like it's 2 or 3 years old ... BUT it's just sooo good ... and with the extra loud Delkevic's, it just keeps screaming, MORE, MORE .... mmmmmm love it!

Can't wait to get her back

Old 08-14-2012, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by shakey
Hmmmm .... got some unearthly rumblings from the bike this week .... like a vibration that transfers through the bike and gets worse the faster you go ... you can even feel it through the bars ... I'm suspecting that it might be the chain & sprockets in need of replacement (mileage is currently 26k miles & the chain & sprockets are of unknown age .... chain is adjusted to about 3/4 inch of play and regularly lubed .... Just hope it's not the front sprocket carrier bearing that's on it's way out! .... Gonna drop it off with my mechanic in the morning, for some investigation ....

Hope it's some ceased links on the chain and nothing more serious

Rode to work & back this weekend & didn't get any urge to take it over 55mph!!!

Keep your fingers crossed for me!

shakey
Hope all is OK Mark, I'll try and get up to Lytham next Monday weather permitting, did nearly 100 miles tonight with Baso over the Cat and Fiddle and over to Buxton, the bike's doing good on fuel on these runs but uses a bit of oil. As you say it's easy to treat these bikes like they were 2 or 3 tears old rather than 23 years old lol!!!

See you soon matey, take care.

Cheers, Steve

Old 08-14-2012, 06:41 PM

Haha ... Kiwi JK ... that made me laugh .. Thanks ( btw ... have you ever Googled IBS?) lol

Cheers, Steve ... I've been following your jollys ... glad you managed to get out tonight and feel better now ... Hope the weather is good for Monday ... I'm not working, so will definately be there about 7 ish, we'll grab some chips and a cuppa

Good news .... My mech has looked her over and the output shaft bearing is good, so just new chain & sprockets ... PHEW!!! However ... he did find a problem with one of the water lines from the water pump.. ( he's good like that, cos he knows I use her every day to get to work) ... not sure what the problem is yet, he said that he was surprised that she hadn't spewed all her water all over the road yet, but I'll report back when I know more .... Just told him to get it sorted asap

Cheers all

shakey

Last edited by shakey; 08-14-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:51 AM

Hey Shakey
When I ran up the road on what is now Kiwi TKs CBR1000FH it had a bit of a rumble from the chain that probably hadn't been round the sprockets for at least 5 years although I had pulled it off and let it soak for a few days it still had some tight links and on a 600km trip (The first real ride I took it on) there was so much noise that my son who was following on my GSXR1100 (loud) said he could hear the chain noise over our combined exhausts. I don't know if TK has done anything about replacing the chain n sprockets (has only got mid 30000km on it) but when I rode with him late last year I was not aware of any excess noise.I would however recommend replacement of sprockets n chain as a set as I have done on my 1000FJ (156000 km)

Yeah chains can be real noisey

Old 08-15-2012, 09:51 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

26000 miles + on a chain EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKK
NO WONDER IT'S MAKING A NOISE
Get it off Shakey - time for new running gear !!!!!

Quick Reply: Horrible rumbling, down below