CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

HIGH SPEED TURN OFF ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 01:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HIGH SPEED TURN OFF ?

ok, last friday and then again on sunday, i had my bike somewhere between 105 & 120 mph and it CUTS OFF!!! Then i have to coast it down to around 40-35mph so the starter gear will catch for a re-start. does anyone know why this would happen? I have had my bike that high before when i first bought it and never had a problem with it.

Old 04-21-2006, 02:54 AM
Default RE: HIGH SPEED TURN OFF ?

Have you ever thought that maybe the fuel filter is a bit clogged??? If it is, at high speeds it doesn't have enough fuel feed to keep the engine running at RPM's so the engine cuts off. Between the time you let it coast, it has enough time for the gas to catch up through the dirty filter and the engine will start right back up and run like nothing ever happened. If you checked the filter, then I might go a little more toward ignition and check the Coils and make sure they aren't arcing or getting hot and shutting off. Its either the gas or ignition, I bet its the gas though. Unless you have a CBR with the fuel pump, it might not be giving the bike enough gas at high speeds thus the shut off as well. Something to think about.

Let us know what you find.

Old 04-21-2006, 01:50 PM
jim
Default Need to be doing at least 140mph !

Hiya crucialfate

Firefox11 is bang on the money its gota be a fuelling problem! it could be either to much air or too little fuel.
Has the Air filter or the exhaust be changed lately as some people re-jet the engine after such modifications, I did hear that the CBR1000F is prone to electrical overheating as the air flow under the tank where the electrical stuff is kept is non existent, I personally have had no such problems and my CBR is ridden like its nicked so it gets white hot.
Check inside your tank to see if its rusty, also check the fuel tank tap to see if its got debris in it what could starve the engine of fuel as-well.

Best Wishes

Jim

Old 04-21-2006, 09:36 PM

To Crucialfate,

Last summer I had a problem when my 1987 CBR 1000F was sputtering over 8000 RPM.
Kind of like it was hitting revlimiter, I figured it was a fuel issue, but the fuel pump was full of gas.
I started looking at the modulator beside the fuel pump but that was not it.
I checked the fuel filter, everything else was fine, so I started fooling with the fuel pump with no luck
and ended up calling my mechanic. He said try pulling on the wires leading to the fuel pump to see if there were any loose connections so I did and it ended up fixing the problem. Mechanic said if the power to the fuel pump is shorting, the pressure coming out of the fuel pump causes carborator issues.

Let me know if it works.

Old 04-21-2006, 10:12 PM

Did you find that sometimes it would rev OK and if you got past 9000, it was OK?

Old 04-21-2006, 10:42 PM

No, it was consistantly having troubles over 9000 rpm but it's a free fix and a 2 second check.

Old 04-26-2006, 03:12 AM

while we're on this subject, sometimes while idling in traffic for a while, my temp gets to about 1/2 on the guage, suddenly it'll miss like hell when i try to get moving again.. clutch in, rev a couple times, and then it's gone.. really hard problem to reproduce and find.. any tips?

Old 04-26-2006, 09:08 PM

sorry that it took me so ling to respond. i have pulled (tugged) the electrical wires.....nothing, air filter/ fuel filter......nothing. BUT.... a while back i noticed a small puddle of gas under my bike. (see post: GAS PUDDLE TO POND) well, i checked the petcock.....nothing. so i just bought a new fuel pump. well, now its doing the same thing. The small puddles (about 2-3 inches wide) of gas are back. I pulled my fairing and the damn thing leaks again. im thinking this has something to do with it, but dont know what else to do.

Old 04-27-2006, 12:51 AM

maybe carb drains are loose
what's a petcock
100f

Old 04-27-2006, 02:09 AM

the part that switches from tank to reserve

Quick Reply: HIGH SPEED TURN OFF ?