CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

High rpm problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 11:27 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: High rpm problem

Ya, the connectors to the intake manifold can get old and cracked and have leaks. Usually this causes problems all over but gets worse as you go into the higher rev range and does not get better. You said yours got better after a certain point. Loose header pipes could also cause the problem. That's an easy one to check out -- blow some smoke on the headers (on a stand not while riding ) while keeping the rpms around 6K. If you gots a leak you'll find it quick. Another way is (while it's cold) block the exhaust with rags and crank her up. Rev it a bit. You should be able to hear the clickity click of valves really well if you have a leak.

Old 08-27-2006, 01:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could this be also a exhaust back pressure problem?

Old 08-27-2006, 01:38 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really don't think so.

Old 08-27-2006, 04:22 AM

ORIGINAL: MarkR

I put a post up ages about a problem with my bike when it get to about 7k-7.5k rpm's, once it get passed 8k - 8.5k, its fine.
I always suspected it to be a carbie issue, but could never get to the bottom of it.
It doesn’t happen all the time, but most. The bike will rev OK with the clutch in but while under any load, the bike would cough and splutter when the rpm's get into that range (7-8.5)

I have always used premium 98, but the other day, I used 95 plus Ethanol (95+E10), the bike now run heaps better, and even though the problem is still there, now it happens only about half the time.

Any thoughts on what in the carbies would cause such a phenomena

If the carbs are known to be clean, I would try to raise the carb needles a few millimeters to see if that helps. You could put a washer under the needle head (if they are not adjustable). You dont need to pull the carbs, just remove the carb top cover and lift up the diafragm/throttle unit.

Old 08-27-2006, 05:33 AM

To remove the intake boots (engine side), do I have to remove the carbies

Old 08-27-2006, 08:21 AM

ORIGINAL: MarkR

To remove the intake boots (engine side), do I have to remove the carbies

I think so, you will probably not acess the engine side hose clamp with carbs in place and the carbs must be pulled anyway to remove the boots, if that is your plan. Just for adjusting the needle hight, the carbs and boots can be in place.

Old 08-28-2006, 06:56 AM

My girl a 1992 1000 HATES Premium Unleaded the plugs glaze up as is a real dog to start, but when I run standard Unleaded there isnt a problem the other weekend I did 600 Ks as she fired up easy as for work on Monday morning if I had used Premium at any stage it would have been a battle to start her.

Old 08-28-2006, 09:12 AM

I have 91 unleaded in it now, but mixed with a little bit of 95 and 98 from bottom of the tank,
Still think there something wrong and I am thinking it’s on the carbie side.
I tighten the boots up once before and I reckon it made a different to my problem
It's going to be a matter of elimination.

Hopefully this weekend, I will get some time to play. though I would check my exhaust headers and inlet boots

Old 03-10-2008, 04:07 AM

This problem is still there and has gotten worse.

I check the coils today, 3.2ohms on the primary and 25.8(left)/24.8(right) on the secondry
I can't do the other checks cause I need a 'Peak Voltage Adaptor' -- what is that, can I make one?

I also took the breather off the top of the carbies - no change; pulling the cabbies for a clean/inspection is next.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:34 AM

A peak voltage instrument can e.g. be an oscilloscope where you will se the voltage curve and peak values. In case theengine still hesitates on mid range, but runs fine at low and high rpm, the problemis air/fuel related.

Quick Reply: High rpm problem