CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Here is where i......

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here is where i......

give you a link to my half-assed web site where i have documented the major upgrades/mods to my 88 Hurricane 1000.... i have changed the rear rim with a 1990 CBR1000, the picture page shows a 180 rear on a white rim, i now have a 190/50-17 and the rim has been painted black to match the front. the front suspension is from a 99 CBR1100XX, pretty easy swap once i got everything figured out....

i will try and update the pictures soon.... the home, about and photo page are the only ones with any pertinent content...

and sorry for the pop-ups...it is a free site... the site is incomplete so be kind but there are some good pics of my ride... if you have any questions, ask away...

http://hurricane1000.sportbikeworld.com/index.html

maybe if we want, anyone that makes a major change to the Hurricane, we could use this site as a reference for everyone to use...what do you guys think?

Old 05-05-2006, 02:03 PM
Default RE: Here is where i......

Nice one mate, some in progress pics would have been nice with a step by step account of work, I think i would have left the wheels white or had them done red to set it off a bit better (personal choice) but how does she handle any better than before?

Old 05-05-2006, 02:41 PM

thanks karlo.

looking back i should have taken some pics, i just didnt think about it at the time, i will try to update with some close-ups of the finished product.

as far as handling goes, the wear on the tires goes from edge to edge. i changed the rear rim first and that was a big improvment, but once i swapped the front end out, it was like a whole new bike... the 310mm front disks really haul the bike down from speed without excessive diving, and i have never bottomed out the forks even on vert bumpy roads.

i was really surprised at how much honda reused from year to year. for instance, the sprocket side spacer is the same for most of hondas bikes, the spirit 750 (cruiser) is the same... a friend and i put 95 900RR rims on his custom chopper, and the spirit club guys were mobbing him with questions on where he got his custom made mags...lol

i was tired of cleaning the white wheel, and i had a can of black paint, sooooo.............

Old 05-05-2006, 03:20 PM

Marvelous job, both with the bike and with the homepage.
Good work.
I am beginning to feel that this forum is as much joy as riding my bike :-)

Old 05-05-2006, 09:08 PM

Nice Job, Very Nice.
Real clean, Looks like you used the XX front fender as well. The front looks a little lower.

Old 05-06-2006, 02:51 PM

to put the 90 rim one there u just had to do spacers and bend the brake caliper braket? right?

Old 05-06-2006, 04:38 PM

very nice.. what was the cost to get the forks, rims, etc from another bike? is it just because you had some kicking around that you did the project? or did you have to go to a wrecker and get them?

looks well done

Old 05-06-2006, 06:45 PM

old1000
for the rear rim, i used 2 large washers on the axel to make up for the difference in break mount sizes. for the break arm, you can bend it but i unbolted it and moved it to the right side of the front mount. i did this as a temp solution because i didnt want to mess it up if the swap didnt work, but so far it has held great! if you cant find a cbr1000 rear rim, i honestly believe a 900rr, cbr1100xx, superhawk and many other rims will work. go to bikebandit or another site that lists part numbers, and compare things like Sprocket side Spacer, Wheel Bearings, Rear Axel etc... you will find that Honda reused so many parts from bike to bike that some customizing is quite simple.

a friend and i put 900rr rims (front and rear) on a 03 Spirit.... those bikes also use the same sprocket side spacer.

all CBR liter class bikes have the same interor width on the swingarm (not sure of the new CBR1000RR) 12.75" i believe, and have the same spacer (and usually axel), i am currently running a 190, and have about .25" gap before the tire touches the chain.

Rx7man
i bought the whole set-up from a friend that had wrecked his Blackbird. he had gotten this set for rebuilding his ride, but instead of finishing it he bought a new BMW...

from him i got the whole thing from clip-ons to wheel with a new tire... i cant really remember what the cost was but $650 keeps popping into my head (i did this about 3.5 years ago) plus i had to pay a machine shop $125 to do the tripple tree work. i was very pissed when i got that bill because i was told that it would only be around $70-80 but when i picked it up they were going on about liability and this was going on a motorcycle...

like i said on the website, i chose the 1100xx because of the similarities in the 2 bikes. the starter/on-off switch harness simply plugged straight into the hurricane header, i only had to move the brown wire fron the hurricane to the XX header. it couldnt have been any simpler....

the left controls....well that was alot harder. the large plastic header was the same shape, but needed to be repopulated to match up with the hurricanes wiring. i also needed to do a little solder work, but i will have to find my notes on that before i tell you how to do it.

the clutch and brake master cylendars are the same... they have different part numbers, but they have the same rebuild kits, so once again, bolt and go.

thanks for the compliments guys, i will try to take some better pictures to detail out what i did, as well as a wiring diagram so hopefully you can do this on your bike.... these were the best changes i could have made....

Old 05-06-2006, 06:57 PM

nice... I plan on removing the rear fenders, relocating the liscense plate and turn signals, etc.. it should make a big differance in the way the bike looks, modernizing it a lot... I might make a fiberglass inner fender to prevent water from getting into the battery tray area and shock.. when i'm done I'll try and post some pics as well

Old 05-06-2006, 10:36 PM

very nice bike man. thanks for the info too.