CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Her Customised 1990 Cbr1000f

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 08:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Her Customised 1990 Cbr1000f

So Here is how We started at the end of last season and how we are on the road now.
Haven't done very constant pictures but examples how bad shape it was.
Took me 3,5 months to fix, and paint my fairings approx 3 to 4 hours 5 days a week sometimes more sometimes less.
Here is a link for pictures from past winter progress.

2012/2013 talve fix - album Fotoalbumis - Fotoalbum

Here is when I bought her:

fresh picture after removed fairings and her going to winter sleep:

heres a picture transporting her 2,5 km to my work.
It was needed transport and I know it seems off line for many of you but trust me it was the safest way within conditions. I was almost peeing my pants on that transport and wish I don't have to do that again!!

Frame was heavily rusting (see extra pictures from the link at the beginning)

So I bought hammerite direct to rust metal paint for frame. It says 8 yrs on the can but will see how it will last.

Wheels are done with lacquer. It will probably not last very long, will see about that. I saw these kind of wheels on a street yrs ago on a car. I just fell in love with em. I like it
Tough it isn't very noticeable in day light. Doesn't bother me and does not have to be huge bling bling.
I am thinking of that flat mat reflective rim tape. Will see.

I really like this picture. She looks like puma. It was our first start after winter. She roared beauttyyfully!

uu and out of the subject in between. I finished my mothers xmas present in between
Made all from zero. We are pleased!!

Now I have putted together some pictures of the fairing damages on link given at the beginning.

I used abs fairing, aluminum web and plastic glue to fix up broken places and molding up new parts. I used sanding papers from 60 to 600 water sand. Also fix paste compound. Believe it or not but found 3 unused color spray guns from our junk drop off point last summer. Picked em up and worked fine. So I went to local car paint shop in winter to get some primers, plastic attach solvent, paint, thinners, etc. All needed to do the work. Used regular black color. Front half with shine and rear half with flat mat lacquer.

Then took pin striping course to get to know the colors and since I use lots of thin stripes in my paintings (examples in link attached above). All golden is hand painted apart from three side fairing bolts and chain.

in conclusion:

Lets start with the outside work since it took a lot longer and exhausting than I expected.
1) Fixed fairings with iron gun, aluminium web, plastic acrylic glue, compound paste.
Sanded and sanded and sanded and sanded some more.
Primed with base coat between plastic and paint.
Primed with white acrylic base coat for 5 layers.
Sanded again.
Took parts to my neighbor to finish paint (since I used my free room on second floor not dust proof garage)
He painted em and finished off with flat and shiny lacquer.

2) Used pin striping colors to do the windshield. (complimented windshield with 6 spikes) I have to say I am confused with the eyes in front cause I am in between taking em off cause I think they don't suit there but again that's characteristics so I am in between of removal. Also first try was gold with red edges. Didn't fancy that so Repainted with only gold and went edges over with black to give it deepness.
Used also transparent vinyl and carbon vinyl on some parts.

3) Since lots of rivets had rusted and I broke them when I took fairings off. (see extra pictures from the link at the beginning) I couldn't find replacements from shops here. I ordered (thank you my friend for the help!!) stainless steel bolt kit from e bay and i have lots of left overs, my boyfriend used one of the machines at my work to take the edges off from nuts and glued them into the holes with two compound glue.
Also replaced the bolts. And have to give a bit more attention tho lower inner part on washing the bike!

4)Took exhaust pipes off. Sanded, removed as much rust as possible. Discovered 3 small holes. Got them fixed from a coworker. Primed and painted with heat spray paint.

5) My cold start cable failed last yr so my boyfriend bought cable from 5 euros and changed that. Works as a beaut!

6)Fixed two oil leaks from side covers.
As spoken with mattson.

7) Got new rear blinkers for xmas, mounted , But they are not working jet properly. Need to get resistor in between.

8) I took off the tinting of my front blinkers but Now I am confused as in a sunny day they are almost invisible. Witch was opposite when they were tinted. And opposite again on a cloudy day. Not tinted look bright and better than tinted. Now I am tempted to tint them back to dark.

9)New 530 chain and front sprocket (rear one is in the post )

10) Changed oils and all juices.

11) Bought a new gel battery.

12) Got her together and on the street

Made 400 km ride last weekend. And now sun is shining and I got flu. Sitting home sick. Coming Wednesday is opening ride here. Looking forward on that Hoping to get well by that time

in conclusion, I am pleased and happy!

Old 04-27-2013, 08:50 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hehee, a wheel loader! Badazz!!! Awesome decals, gotta read this better later. But subscribed anyway.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mattson
Hehee, a wheel loader! Badazz!!! Awesome decals, gotta read this better later. But subscribed anyway.
No decals, Hand painted I am glad you like it

Old 04-27-2013, 10:13 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is a labour of love
Excellent work Missy !

Old 04-27-2013, 11:22 AM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome work! Looks great.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:26 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

Originally Posted by Missynet
No decals, Hand painted I am glad you like it
So decals are always stickers? Thought any decoration is...

Old 04-27-2013, 12:53 PM

Mattson, I dunno honestly. Somehow I have always taken decals as stickers for bikes cars mainly stickers with letters or flames.

Dunno

Thanks Guys! Appreciate it.

Btw has anyone heard of BANANA WAX?

Everybody seems to recommend it to me. Has anyone here tried?

Old 04-27-2013, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Missynet

Btw has anyone heard of BANANA WAX?

Everybody seems to recommend it to me. Has anyone here tried?
Amm, to what purpose, like wax your bike? I`ve heard of it, but in the kitesurf circles, and as far as I know it`s a surf/kiteboard wax...

For waxing your bike I`d recommend Autoglym waxes, You can get them practically anywhere, Motonet for example, either super resin polish (I use it on everything) or since you have a dark bike you can put the SRP on the bottom and finish it with AG Ultra deep shine. Although I`m not entirely sure what a deep gloss wax does to a matt paint finish...

Old 04-27-2013, 02:31 PM

Ha I dont know the brand I am using, but its the blue small one from halpa-halli, worked good last yr.

But this vid gives unbelievable result:

Thats why I was thinking of waxing bike with it. Seems to work on cars

Old 04-27-2013, 02:43 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well done Missy!

Nice to see someone lavish such love and care on an old bike. She's lucky to have you and I'm sure she'll repay your devotion.

She'll be yours forever now.

Last edited by hawkwind; 04-28-2013 at 02:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Her Customised 1990 Cbr1000f