CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

HELPPPPPPPP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 11:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELPPPPPPPP!!!

G'day guys, thought i would run this by you, any ideas will be GREATLY appreciated.
My old '87 has mostly been difficult to start, both when it's hot or cold. Honda mech says starter sprag clutch is on its way out, $700-750 to replace (that was it May this year), need to open motor. Well the bike is now dead, won't start even when jumpered to the car - nothing, tried to push start it, motor turned over but didn't catch. Not prepared to give it to the mech and hand over $750 big ones!!! Looked at the manuals, not overly clear to me, says you can remove starter motor, looks easy enough, i'm assuming the starter sprag clutch is what attached starter motor to motor, do you know?? Does the motor need to be opened, any ideas?? Thanks for any input, pete
ps am assuming it is the starter sprag because that is what the mech mentioned, maybe it's not? any other ideas or things i could try???

Old 10-02-2006, 12:02 AM
Default RE: HELPPPPPPPP!!!

If its the starter clutch then you need to split the cases to get to the f*cker.

Most of the cost he is quoting would be labour & gaskets.

Old 10-02-2006, 12:43 AM

Thanks for the reply Trips, gonna have another play with it now. will phone mech tomorrow and have a chat. the thing in the back of my mind is the mech also said the cc and tensioner will prob also need replacing eventually, another $700. he knows the bike from the last owner also. i have another option, local wrecker has a '87 motor for $1000 also a smashed '93 model with motor. could replace whole motor! big decision either way and bucks i can't afford!!!

Old 10-02-2006, 01:40 AM

Why would the bike not start when push starting it if only the starter motor is stuffed?

Old 10-02-2006, 04:40 AM

sprag clutch is like a free-wheeling clutchy thing that while the starter is cranking, catches the motor to roll it over and whilst the motor is running it free-wheels.
its true, you need to open her right up.

i would be concerned that it isnt starting with a roll start though, maybe the sprag clutch is constantly engaged which could mean that when the motor is trying to run it is being held back by the starter. that in itself is bad news.
unfortunately without having it here, and pulling it appart i am not much help to you.
when you boost it with the car its not cranking so i assume this is the case.

if you put it in the shop to have the sprag clutch done, they should be able to do the cc and cct at the same time reducing overall labour costs.
however i would be very tempted to chuck a newer motor in it especially if it has warranty.

good luck