Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help! strange behavior

Here is the chian of event:

bike running perfect

went to get my filter t the delearship, bikes runs perfectly

Filled thank on thurday . park itin my garage

put my new K&n filter on friday night.

Bike pul;ls clean , breath much easier.

went for a 40km ride with a frien, engine strated sounding hollow, no power: not running on all fours...

when i turn the engine off : and turn it back on runs fine, then all of a sudden notrunning on 4.

at firts i thought it was bad gas.

but then it would not run fine when turned off and on.next day went to do some errands no problem at all.
went for a ride int he afternoon wiht the wife, did over 60kMs no problem, but then started again, it would be on and off, at on point i could not turn the engine off and it wold start doing it then would run on all fours.But it could run no problem for long period of time 30 kms-40kms, problem would appear abddisappear by itself.

Last night inspected the fuel filter , looks fine, but spark plug wire for number 3 cyclinder had it insultor broken a bit put some electrical tape to uinsulate it but bike was still behaving when taken for a test it was even worse, but then again turn off and on, and all is fine after restarting the engine, will give it gas and will restart to behave. not runing on all cylinders.

I will put back the old filter, just to see (it is still brand new) because trouble started when i changed it, but it is not logical. The night beforeall hell brake loose i had filled my tank of gas.

Iam bit stumped.

is it bad gas
the k&n filter

isit the wire, or gas filter( inspected it, itlooks clean)

or smething new.

anyone one had that trouble before?

What do you think?

Old 06-22-2008, 10:35 AM
Default RE: help! strange behavior

Hey Carl - This sounds like what my bike has been doing too - hopefully we can both get some answers here.

My bike was in desperate need of a tune up, so we changed the plugs, and #3 looked like it was burnt. We cleaned the air filter and I think it got too much oil on it..my fault. I changed the filter, put in a new K&N, and sychronized the carbs. Everything ran pretty good until last week when it rained (I am in Florida afterall and you can't really avoind it in the summer) and now it will run good until it gets hot and then it gets bogged down, no power no matter how hard you crank the throttle. If I stop and let the engine cool down it runs good again until the engine gets hot and then it starts all over again. [:@]

I have a theroy...not very mechanically inclined, so I don't know how accurate it is, but here we go:

If the #3 plug is burnt then it's not firing, making the piston get stuck, for lack of a better word, and the engine gets bogged down, until it coools off and gets unstuck.

Again, just my theory. I'm on here looking for any help I can get in diagnosing and fixing the problem myself. Not sure what role the rain played in my problem or if it was just a coincidence?

Old 06-22-2008, 10:40 AM

Now that you are saying, it has been humid here in the last 2 day, and the spark plug cap and wire og number is the one that is damaged we might have something here...

i will take a lookin the afternoon, when it happens , does your bike smells unburned gas ?

have to go for a few hours but i will run my test and come to post later on.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:52 AM

No smell of unburned gas when mine gets bogged down - let me know how it works out for you today.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:57 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Electrical tape will not do a very good job of insulating the arc of the ignition. You will need to replace the insulator. That’s a given.

Did you fill up at the same place that you have been stopping at before? You may have filled up with higher ethanol content. That’s a guess.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:01 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Guys. It sounds like one of your ignition coils is breaking down when hot - it's summertime, and the bike is getting hotter - I had a similar problem on another bike - same symptoms, thought it was all kinds of things like filters, switches etc - coil had gone faulty. Check the attachments for the coils - must be secured properly too.
Hope this helps.......

Old 06-22-2008, 11:23 AM

Thanks Shadow1 - my connection was loose. I'm getting ready to go take it for a test drive. I'll let you knowhow it works out. If I need to replace it do you have any suggestions for where the best place is to find the part?

Old 06-22-2008, 12:37 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

www.mrcycles.com if you're in the US and want a brand new unit
Otherwise e-Bay's generally a good bet - they go cheap for the most part....
in the UK - www davidsilverspares.uk
hope this helps - regret I don't have a spare coil[X(]
Maybe coils from other models would work any ideas guys ??
I know the CB750F2 reg/rec is the same as the 1000F/pan-euro1100........

Old 06-22-2008, 12:50 PM

Hey Guys. It sounds like one of your ignition coils is breaking down when hot - it's summertime, and the bike is getting hotter - I had a similar problem on another bike - same symptoms, thought it was all kinds of things like filters, switches etc - coil had gone faulty. Check the attachments for the coils - must be secured properly too.
sounds logical, if you are smelling unburned gas it is probably an ignition problem, as the gas smell is a sign it is not firing on one or more cylinders

Old 06-22-2008, 01:13 PM

will check my coils...but does the wring for the spark plug cap is part of the coil or can you change only the spark plug wires on this model ?

Quick Reply: help! strange behavior