CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Help putting carbs back on

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 06:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help putting carbs back on

Ok so this weekend I decided to replace my carbs on my 87 cane. I took off the old set which was a chore in itself. Now I have a set of freshly rebuilt carbs that I am trying to put on. I tried to get them on for about 3 hours on saturday to no sucess. My question to you guys is there any trick or technique to getting them back on. I got the new ones perfectly lined up but was unable to get them to seat in the rubber connector. I was thinking about trying to heat up the rubber to make it a little more flexible as it is extremely hard right now. I figured that some other people have had some similar problems with this so any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Old 10-22-2007, 07:52 AM
Default RE: Help putting carbs back on

should I leave the rubber sleeves on the engine and put the carbs into them or should I take them off and put them on the carbs and slide them back on the engine that way??

Old 10-22-2007, 11:48 AM

I dont know about the cbr1000f but on other bikes i have left the rubbers stuck on the engine.
When i had a bike with "hard" rubbers i apply some oil or something "slippery" in the rubbers so it easily drops in place. Usually you have to be two guys,one on each side of the bike to make it a bit easier.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:16 PM

I leaved the rubbers on the head when I removed and fitted the carbs. It was not difficult at all. The carbs can be removed by using a pry bar after the clamps are loosened. You need to lubricate the carb outlets and rubbers before putting them back. I putted a piece of wood across the carb intakes and used a hammer to push them on the rubbers.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:54 PM

Don't forget to lube... a rule everyone should live by.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:41 PM

I use spray silicone or white lithium. Silicone is less messy though. Leave the boots on the engine and don't overtighten the clamp screws.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:59 PM

where in pa are you located ????

Old 10-22-2007, 05:41 PM

Before you place the carbs to the rubbers, using a hairdryer, apply heat to make them more supple and then smear the rubber inserts with vaselene (this will help with sealing) and place the carbs to the rubbers and using a piece of wood (like R1000 mentioned) using a plastic hammer knock the carbs into place from the middle, moving outwards so then you will get an even fit. Once they start going then keep an eye out that they dont cut into the inserts at an odd angle. If it makes life easier then loosen off the air box and move it backwards and this will give you better access to work on putting the carbs on. Good luck

Old 10-23-2007, 06:17 AM

Thanks for all the replys.....I had never thought to heat them up...thats an excellent idea....Im going to give it another go tonight...Ill let you know how I make out....

bobjan...im located in the reading/pottstown area...I see your from allentown...I just moved from there about a month ago...I used to live near the airport

Old 10-23-2007, 07:44 AM

Have you undone your clamps enough?

I made the mistake of un-doing the clamps loose enough to remove the carbs, but they were still too tight to get them to seat properly when going back on. Loosening them right off made all the difference.

Quick Reply: Help putting carbs back on