CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Help me out please

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 01:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help me out please

OK so 5 years ago I bought a 1993 Honda CBR 1000F rode it for 1 season then parked it on the center stand in my garage. I then left the country for 5 years and just came back home. My bike hasn't moved in 5 years.

My first problem was I had lost the key, so after many days and headaches finally picked the helmet lock and had a locksmith cut a key from that. Now I have a key.

My second problem was that after 5 years my battery was completely dead and couldn't take a charge so I had to buy a new battery today. I hooked up the new battery and turned the new key and it all lights up! Life after 5 years! I didn't try to "fully start it" because after 5 years I figured I need to change the oil and get the old gas out of there first before attempting to run it so no old fluids run through the bike. Keep in mind this is my first bike I have owned so I am not sure what I should do before attempting to start my bike after it sitting for 5 years, is there any certain things I should do first?

Also before trying to pick the helmet lock I attempted to remove the ignition and have a key cut from that, I ended up removing the handle bars, most of the fairings, and dettached the triple tree clamp from the forks resulting in me having just the triple tree clamp with ignition still attached to it, but since the Torx bolts holding the ignition on to the triple tree clamp were stripped and myself nor the locksmith could get them seperated we had to go a different route which is when we took the route of the helmet lock. I have my ignition hooked up now just hanging there for the time being thats how I tested that the new battery worked. The bike is still in pieces but I am wondering if any of those bolts and screws need to have a certain amount of Torque (using a Torque wrench) and if so where can I find a list of which bolts/nuts/screws take what Torque? I plan on reassembling the bike tomorrow and doing any maintenance I need to do to it before starting her up for the first time after 5 years but I just want to make sure that I do everything I need to do before starting it so I don't ruin anything or mess anything up.

Sorry this post was so long and thanks in advance to your replies any and all help is appreciated as I am new to all this, I just hope I remember how to put this all back together now!

Old 05-25-2013, 08:40 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Besides a general check over the bike, I would give it an oil change and remove the plugs to squirt a little oil into the bores of each cylinder. Then turn her over by hand a few times to spread the oil, followed by cranking her over on the battery. Those cylinder bores are going to be bone dry after five years!

General check should include tyres/lights brakes/clutch/chain/sprockets before even thinking of taking her on the road.

Download a service manual from the 'How Too' section and read through that.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:16 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

^ after that, flushing the fuel, changing the oil and checking the coolant, she should run fine.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

TimBucTwo's advice is spot on Alex,

So, get to it, start he up and don't forget to post some pictures

Good luck and I hope the old girl purrs back into life.

Cheers, SB

Old 05-25-2013, 10:54 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Good advice from above.

Also check the valve stems on each wheel. They might've dried out and could leave you stranded. Didn't do that and one day and when checking my front air pressure it just snapped off in my hand. Any of the rubber/plastic bits may be suspect.

Beware.

After a long sit, new rubber and chain/sprockets might be in order

Good luck to ya'

Old 05-26-2013, 11:14 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wooferdog
new rubber
YEP! For sure, new rubber.

I have had friends tell me that they are buying a used bike that has been sitting and the tires are like new. They tell me its a great deal because the seller put new tires on just before storing the bike. My first advice to them is to replace the rubber.

Not only can they get dry rot, but I feel the worse problem is that they get hard and loose grip.

REPLACE TIRES!

Good one Woof.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:00 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Not alot to do then mate hahaaaha......jesuus its gonna take 5 years to do that lot hahaaahahah !!!......seriously though, front to back, top to bottom, underneath and inside the plastics.....and obviously the engine and as previous have said, your fluids......take your time, get to know your bike and you`ll be fine. Then have some fun

Old 05-28-2013, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd also check the gas tank for rust.