CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

help with brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 01:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with brakes

OK I am having a huge issue with my brakes right now. I am not sure what is going on but when i press the foot pedal the rear brake will vibrate and also jerk the biek to a stop. I checked the pads and the pads look pretty new. I made surethe chain adjustment marks are lined up on both sides. And also even pulled the caliper off the rear wheel without unhooking the lines to see what was going on. The brake fluid reservoir is full. It is really weird and kinda concerning me. It only happens when i apply the foot pedal and it feels like a vibration when you apply brakes on a car and feel a vibration.It also is very jerky when you apply it as well. Thanks guys and any help will be great appreciated. My bike is also leaking oil when i place it on the side stand. It takes it awhile to start leaking. I thought it was the gasket so i replaced it and also sealed it with honda bond as well. I might also need to replace the crankcase cover itself but i am not sure yet. Thanks again for all the help

Old 08-25-2011, 02:07 PM

Maybe your rear rotor is warped? I'd get the the bike on its center stand, spin the rear wheel and look for any back and forth movement in the rotor. Do you get any vibration using the brake lever? You should have linked brakes (unless you delinked) and you should probably also have vibration using the lever, though maybe less so since only one of three pistons is activated.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:54 PM

no vibration when i pull the lever at all. I have checked the rotor and no back and forth movement at all. i did try to bleed the brake not to long ago but it was doing it before i tried it as well.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:46 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Binding Caliper Piston(s) ! imo , needs to be disassembled cleaned and new seals and the
rotor is not "true" as in slightly warped or worn too thin beyond spec' !

leaking on side stand most likely improperly sealed valve cover gasket they need gasket
sealant top and bottom to form a sealant & gasket sammich !

You might want to put some JB Weld in that crack in the cover you talked about in your other
post. With the rear brake my first approach would be a used good rotor/disc

Last edited by Sprock; 08-25-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Sprock
Binding Caliper Piston(s) ! imo , needs to be disassembled cleaned and new seals and the
rotor is not "true" as in slightly warped or worn too thin beyond spec' !

leaking on side stand most likely improperly sealed valve cover gasket they need gasket
sealant top and bottom to form a sealant & gasket sammich !

You might want to put some JB Weld in that crack in the cover you talked about in your other
post. With the rear brake my first approach would be a used good rotor
yeah when i sealed it with honda bond i put it on both sides i might need a new crankcase cover because when the previous owner dropped it i checked the cover and it had a little crack on the inside of it. when i pull off the fairing and look at the cover the oil looks like it is leaking from the top left 10mm bolt anyways i will keep chugging away at it i downloaded the manual and i will also look at the caliper this weekend we are supposed to have a storm come in so it will give me a perfect chance to work on the bike.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:18 PM

Another thing to check is the pins that the pads slide on. If they aren't perfectly smooth, the pads will bind and grab. But they are pretty cheap from Honda dealers.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:34 AM

thanks slowpoke and everyone for the great comments. I went out yesterday and checked it some more and did some testing and it only vibrates when i release the foot brake just a bit. when you apply the foot brake it grabs hard and jerks ya forward lol. There is no easy braking it is either brake or no brake. I guess i will be taking it all apart tonight maybe and see what is going on with it. I am beginning to like the fact that i took some motorcycle repair classes last year lol.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:27 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just remember linked brakes take some patience & methodology if you have to
bleed them !

Old 08-26-2011, 11:09 AM

yeah i was smart to download the shop manual and also the repair manual that is on the board. It will be a learning process for me but it will give me something to do this weekend during the storm. There is something about storms that always keep me calm when working on the bike in my buddies garage,

Old 08-26-2011, 04:45 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When you over-haul the caliper/s be sure to give the floater pins on the
calipers the attention they deserve.

It could be exasperating the effect of your sticking pistons. If the brakes aren't free
to float on their mounts, that can cause a 'shudder' as well.

Ern

Quick Reply: help with brakes