CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Help - Bike won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 06:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - Bike won't start

Hi there,

I thought I'd flooded the bike last night leaving work, as it went 30 feet and then puttered to a halt. Lots of turning over and coasting downhill and bumping, followed by a couple of minutes head scratching - and then she fired up, right as rain. She also started fine a further couple of times that evening.

However this morning - having started first time - she did the same thing. 30 odd feet and puttered to a halt. This time nothing would raise her. I kept going until the battery would do no more. I took the hateful hateful bus to work and have the battery on charge ready for another go this evening.

She's a 1996 F-P. I had her serviced in the summer and she's been bulletproof up until now. Any ideas what might be up?

All comments very much appreciated.

Mark

Old 12-10-2009, 10:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Putters...check the carbs.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:17 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm thinking maybe a pinched or clogged fuel vent?
My 1995 did the same thing.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

There is a vacuum line that runs from the #1 cylinder to the petcock. It may have pulled off. When cranking the bike, vacuum opens the petcock and fuel flows to the carbs. You can check the petcock by pulling the fuel line and applying vacuum to the smaller hose going to the petcock. You can use one of those break bleeders for the vacuum source. Or just pull the fuel line and crank the bike, fuel should flow, if not you may have a clogged petcock as mentioned.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has to be the petcock, 'floaties' in the fuel filter / tank or the vent on the tank not letting air in. My money's on the petcock though. If you haven't got a brake bleeder, just suck on the vacuum pipe. You'll hear it click and the fuel should start to flow. Let us know how it goes.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
... these CBRs can get bent outta shape and flood if they are not started fully before moving off especially in colder weather ...
Good to know. This will be my first winter, and you may have saved me a cussing fit or two.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:40 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
Yer Joe ... it doe's depend on the bike to a degree it seems ...some take more kindly to it than others , but mine !! mate if she is not warmed up properly and I mean properly and I dare turn the choke off and try to ride her , she either stalls .....or its like trying to ride a bucking bull for the first 100mts

+ 1

Tell me about it ..........I have to start her and let warm up so the temp
gauge is midways over.........otherwise like Steve sez .......rough start out

Old 12-16-2009, 06:50 AM

Thanks so much for the responses...

This has only happened since it began to get much colder - 1-4 degrees C. I have also not been letting the bike warm through before taking off. So I'll give that a go too.

I managed to repeat the excercise of going 250 yards, puttering to a halt despite all the feathering I could muster. Follwed by emptying the battery in sheer frustration followed by pushing it back home. - they don't get any lighter do they?

The other issue is that I generally only use it at a little over tickover for a short commute to work... 3 miles at most. Perhaps I'm asking more of the alternator than it can bear?

If the warming process doesn't cure it I'll give the vacuum pipe a go. Are the #1 cylinder and these lines fairly easy to identify?

Really appreciate the input!

Mark

Quick Reply: Help - Bike won't start