CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Hello and Need help with 88 CBR1000F that won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello and Need help with 88 CBR1000F that won't start

Hello everybody. I have been lurking around here for a good while but, I have never posted. I am hoping you guys will be able to help me get on the right track with my 88 CBR1000f. I rode to work this morning with out a hitch. (nice morning the moon was out.) I parked it and went in to work when I came out this afternoon to go home the bike would crank but would not start. IT turns over and acts like it's going to start but it does not quite catch on. IT did sorta run for a few seconds a couple of times. I checked for fuel before and after the fuel filter and just before it enters the carbs and had fuel. I hope this is enough for someone to ask some good questions or point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I have learned a lot from you guys already hope you can help with this too.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:47 PM

this might sound stupid but, check the killswitch if it on and pull the clucth lever, if i remmeber coorrectly or i might be mistaken, if the lever is not pull the bike won't start.

Guys correct me if i am wrong.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:03 PM
Default Battery strong enough?

Make sure the battery is strong. These bikes need a strong battery to start. Eventhough it seems like it might be cranking fast, it may not be fast enough to start. Try jump starting it off a car battery but make sure the car is not running.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by DragonCBR
this might sound stupid but, check the killswitch if it on and pull the clucth lever, if i remmeber coorrectly or i might be mistaken, if the lever is not pull the bike won't start.

Guys correct me if i am wrong.
Thanks for the response. Yea that has happened to me on other bikes but I checked that several times today.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:31 PM

I am saying that because ther is two little wires that connect to the clucht lever assembly and on mine one of them was pulled out once , but still han ging so i would not spot it at first and the bike would not start....

Old 03-18-2009, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by paul6585
Make sure the battery is strong. These bikes need a strong battery to start. Eventhough it seems like it might be cranking fast, it may not be fast enough to start. Try jump starting it off a car battery but make sure the car is not running.
Yea, was wondering that myself about the voltage so I took the truck in and hooked up the jumper cables let it charge awhile but still got the same result. And as an experiment I sprayed a little starting fluid in it to see if it was a fuel delivery problem but alas and alack to no avail Must be some sort of spark or timing problem could it be the electronics?

Old 03-18-2009, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by DragonCBR
I am saying that because ther is two little wires that connect to the clucht lever assembly and on mine one of them was pulled out once , but still han ging so i would not spot it at first and the bike would not start....
I will defiantly check that. But, it did sorta start a few times

Old 03-19-2009, 04:15 PM

Well I discovered last night a 4:30 am how easy it is to steal a motorcycle from a guarded parking lot. I went to work and asked a co-worker to help me load the bike. I walked up to it next to the guard shack and started pushing it across the parking lot the guards did not even look up or ask me any questions. I think I could have taken a couple of the bikes from the parking area and never been challenged. I have the bike home now and will start a proper diagnostic.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:38 PM

Well, I got it in the garage and took it apart went thru the fuel system and cleaned the plugs and after not finding any problems while I was looking at the carbs wondering what was going on I was messing with the throttle cables and noticed the choke cable was loose and after working it a couple of time and it did not move the choke I discovered a broken choke cable. When I held the choke with my finger it fired right up. SO there you have it mystery solved. The only trick now will be to find a replacement. Thanks for the suggestions hope this thread is helpful to somebody in the future.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:47 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

e-Bay.UK for a cheap choke cable....................
or www.mrcycles.com in the US

Quick Reply: Hello and Need help with 88 CBR1000F that won't start