CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

hand warming advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 09:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hand warming advice needed

I can ride in just about any temp range for our geographical area. But, unfortunately I have problems with my hands getting cold when it's around 35 degrees F or lower. I think I have problems with my hands due to old injuries, which makes it more uncomfortable for me, when most may be able to tolerate it with good gloves.

i use Olympia heavy riding gloves and today I added a pair of fleece gloves under them, but my fingertips still felt like they were going to fall off by the time I got to work.

I dont want to add any electrical accessories to my bike, so that narrows my options. Does anyone know of good handguards that will mount easily on the hurricane? Any other suggestions are welcome.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:30 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Somebody here uses those Hippo Hands. They look like they'd work really well. I have UA ColdGear glove liners that seem to work pretty good, but I also have a heated jacket which keeps your hands a lot warmer.
I actually haven't tried JUST the glove liners riding yet, but they work GREAT in regular sub-zero temps.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heated grips

Old 01-06-2010, 02:24 PM

Go to a sporting goods store and get some hand warmers. Activate them, put them in your gloves and you should be good to go.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
heated grips
Will the charging system be able to keep up?

Old 01-06-2010, 03:43 PM

How good is your jacket? If your core temp drops, your body will lower circulation to the extremities, so cold hands. Add another layer under the jacket? Just trying to think outside the box.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:54 PM

Seems like my body is fine. Good jacket and protection there. Only the tips of my fingers start killing me from the wind at 55-65 mph at 35 degrees or cooler. Im leaning toward heated grips if the charging system will handle it. I will try hand warmers as a temporary fix.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bicklebok
Seems like my body is fine. Good jacket and protection there. Only the tips of my fingers start killing me from the wind at 55-65 mph at 35 degrees or cooler. Im leaning toward heated grips if the charging system will handle it. I will try hand warmers as a temporary fix.
the ones I use were made for dirt bikes and snow mobiles. You remove your current grips (carefully if you are gonna reuse em) and install these around the handles with the self-adhesive backing. Run your wires, mount the switch etc. re-install/replace the grips with the supplied grip adhesive.

@35 or cooler you will still feel some coldness tho, have to remember @65 35 degrees will feel ALOT colder

Old 01-06-2010, 04:16 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 01-06-2010, 04:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The bike patrols (regular bicycle) round here have some sort of wind screen over their handgrips to protect from winds. Looks a little funky, like attached gauntlets on the grip. But these guys are riding bikes out in the Philly cold for 8 hours at a time. So something is working

When I saw it I wondered if anyone thought of doing the same on motorcycle grips

Quick Reply: hand warming advice needed