CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

A Guy wants to trade a ZX12R for my CBR...=o

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 02:11 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: A Guy wants to trade a ZX12R for my CBR...=o

By twitchy steering I mean that it changes direction quicker than the Hurricane, I think because the rear is set a little higher, and the front is a bit stiffer - I had a similar experience with my old GPZ900, and don't really like fast superbike direction changes - the Hurri is a bit more predictable, at least to me. The ZZR almost feels like it needs a steering damper, which I think it has anyway........I only had it up to 220KPH (137MPH) and it had LOADS of grunt left, probably to 300KPH (182MPH) on a good road at the coast. Pic of bike attached. I'd like a compromise - the grunt of the ZZR in the Hurricane frame...........

Old 01-14-2008, 04:20 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Coopz, the ZX12R is a sport bike. You can ride it for about ½ hour before getting uncomfortable. Too much pressure on the wrist is a killer. The old man has bitten off more than he can chew and he knows it. I have not ridden one but have ridden the ZZR1200. The ZZR1200 has a detuned ZX12R engine (Ninja). The ZZR1200 is a little scary in the turns, as the 155hp engine will get the front tire light with the slightest throttle twist. I can only imaging the ZX12R is worse. The ZZR1200 is more sport/touring and has a better riding position. My brother sold his ZZR1200 a few months ago because he said it was to fast. The guy that bought it took it for a test ride and when he came back and said,” Wow! This thing is fast. I thought I was going 55 MPH and when I looked down and I was going 85 MPH.” The ZX12R is faster. You can bring the fronts up on each with a twist of the right hand.

There is no perfect bike. Nothing does everything well. You are the only one that can make the decision of weather you want to be the first guy to the next traffic light or to hop on and go for a long ride in comfort. Fast is fun but can also get you in trouble.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any news Coopz? Have you tried the 12 yet?

Old 01-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, c'mon Coopz, did you hey, hey, hey ?
(apologies to Kermit the frog)

Make sure the number of times you put your sidestand down equals the number of times you put it up.........

Old 01-20-2008, 07:22 PM

Well went for a burn through the hills on it. Have to say the bike is POWERFUL, nailed some tosser in a van who wouldn't use the slow vehicle exits, bike went from 50-140k in like 2 seconds o_0, only thing that I found really annoying was a vibration around the 6000-7000rpm range, fairly minor but you know its there, made the mirrors shake a little and it went through the seat to the handgrips. Still I love the engine, brakes are good as well. First gear is mega clunky though, at the lights I put it into first 'KaKLUNK!' scared some old ladies dog on the footpath:P The other gears are smooth.

Getting off it though at the end, in all honesty I was happy to get off it, my wrists were sore and the seat grows teeth after 30m, bike is also more tiring to ride as it requires a higher level of alertness, but it its fun

I decided to bypass his offer, yeah sounds dumb but I cannot see myself keeping the ZX for long, I'd either crash it or lose my licence and even if I did swap, sell the Kwaka and buy something else the profit margin would be pretty slim for the effort. ..and after all I like my fatass 3 ton 20th century carby driven superbike Also felt a bit stupid riding a Kwaka with a red Honda Racing Jacket on...

Old 01-21-2008, 01:10 AM

"my fatass 3 ton 20th century carby driven superbike"

Ha ha Coopz. My lovely mates callmy CBR "the big red bus".

Glad you are keeping the CBR....