CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000F "Hurricane" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/)
-   -   Getting ready to paint - Updated II! (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/getting-ready-paint-updated-ii-24729/)

mdfirefighter 10-18-2006 11:40 AM

RE: Getting ready to paint

I'm going to try and find a few more pictures I took of the rebuilding of the tabs. Basically what I did was try to mirror one side to the other. My left side was all jacked up and the right side was just fine. So I had to replicate everything from right to left. Some things are not the same, just be warned. Then that I would do when I knew what it should look like it create some sort of blank that I would mold the fiberglass around. (This is where pictures would be really helpful.) So on the upper left front fairing I needed to rebuild the mount that attached to the frame. This mount is indented behind the fairing. So what I did was cut a block of wood the same size and then layer fiberglass over it to give it the same shape while also attaching it in the correct place on the fairing itself.

I need some pictures. I'll get some and see if I can finish this up.

MDFF

slowpoke 10-18-2006 03:29 PM

MD, too bad you didn't have someone nearby with an 1000F, then you could have taken molds of the tabs and made them more easily.

mdfirefighter 10-18-2006 06:26 PM

Alright alright, I'm sad enough about moving back to MD. You don't have to rub it in. :(;)

MDFF

renxwar 10-18-2006 11:08 PM

What would you recommend as far as a fiberglass kit...could it be purchased at an Autozone, Napa, or Advance Auto? They have a fiberglass repair kit..would that work? My problem is the two rear tabs on the upper cowl (the two [one on each side] hex head bolts that connect CLOSEST to you when your on the bike) are broken completely off and the lower cowl isn't really secure when I'm riding or going over any bumps.

Would I just be able to use something like a thin piece of cardboard, then put the fiberglass stuff over it?

mdfirefighter 10-18-2006 11:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I used a fiberglass repair kit from Walmart. I'm a little heavy handed with the hardner so I had to get more, but I didn't use anything close to the whole blanket of glass itself. Any kit that gets the job done is a good one, the one I got happened to be for boats but I figure its a good thing because it is water resistant.

When I did some other things on the bike like the rear cowl tabs I used a paint stick with platic wrap over it to keep the resin and glass from sticking, that worked pretty well. I also tried aluminum foil and that stuck more then plastic wrap. Just cover whatever you are using as a "mold" so you don't have to cut it off or break when you just fixed.

I don't have any progress pics of the fix for the front cowl but here are some progress pics of the rear cowl. Looks different now that it is final primed.

Rough and just cut in half
Attachment 85712

Cleaned up with dremmel
Attachment 85713

*EDIT* Also, remember that resin by itself is very brittle thats why it is combined with the glass. Never use resin by itself. However, paining over fiberglass will look bad, so cover it up with a good layer of resin and then sand it down to where you need it. That will give you a nice smooth finish.

MDFF

slowpoke 10-19-2006 02:07 AM

Nice job. My bike wasn't dropped, but both tabs on the rear cowl were cracked off at the bolt hole and where it connects to the main piece. Luckily, the pieces were still held there by the bolts. I used epoxy to glue them back together. I bet if everyone with a 1000F checked them, they would find that they're cracked from vibration.

mdfirefighter 10-23-2006 07:11 PM

Hey, I just wanted to give yall an update. I got everything final primed and I'm in the process of wet sanding the primer to get rid of the orange peel. I ordered another tip (#2) for my HVLP gun as the one for the primer (#3) is NOT going to cut it for the color. Hopefully I should have the primary color (black) shot this weekend. I'll make sure I take some pics during the painting this time.

MDFF

mdfirefighter 11-04-2006 07:10 PM

Base coat!!!!

10 Attachment(s)
Alrighty, here are some prelim pics from the base coat (black) painting I did today. Enjoy!

My paint "booth" from the outside:
Attachment 85605

All kinds of parts drying between coats:
Attachment 85606
Attachment 85607
Attachment 85608
Attachment 85609
Attachment 85610
Attachment 85611
Attachment 85612

This is my favorite:
Attachment 85613

This will teach me to paint with long sleeves on:
Attachment 85614

Let me know what you think!! Sliver accent graphic is going on tomorrow. Then color sanding and clear to come later after I get back from my trip to Denver.

MDFF

R1000 11-04-2006 07:40 PM

RE: Base coat!!!!

Great job, it seems to turn out real fine !

I renovated an old car many years ago and a lot of small parts were hand-sprayed glossy black. It didn’t take much practice until I managed to always get a perfect result. This spring I was to spray-paint parts on the Hurricane, and knew that it should be easy. To my surprise it was now impossible not to get a raw finish or the opposite, to much paint. It was just to leave the parts to a paint shop; I had lost the technique to get a perfect surface. I guess the knowledge is kind of a skill that doesn’t last forever, or it’s just the vision degrading over the year.

mdfirefighter 11-04-2006 09:55 PM

RE: Base coat!!!!

5 Attachment(s)
Ok, I just had to post some more. I fitted up the pannels so I could mask off for the second color and snaped some pics.

Attachment 85598
Attachment 85599
Attachment 85600
Attachment 85601
Attachment 85602

MDFF