CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Getting Old

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 05:45 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My fingers/hands would both go numb after 15 mins, I got some slip on foam covers for the grips and some gel gloves, whenever I would give the ol girl a gut full I could barely hang on, dangerous I think. So I bit the bullet and paid AU$130 del for a pair of tuned bar weights, they are made specific to model of bike out of titanium(I think) and steel by a company that manufactures gyros for helicoptors. They work, that is all I can tell you, best money I have spent on the bike (and that is quite a lot) I also fitted bar risers at the same time. I even tried riding with my throttle hand in all types of positions and could not get numb hands. It does not stop all vibrations, just the ones that seem to harm people. They work like a tuning fork apparently. Steve (CBRClassic) had a set on order as well, I don't know how he went with them?
http://www.vibranator.com/

Attached Thumbnails Getting Old-img013.jpg  

Last edited by jarvid; 08-30-2012 at 05:50 AM.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:32 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CBR1988
Hey:

Just like I used to tell my troops," pain is weakness leaving the body, soldier up and stop being a *****, endure the pain and become a real fighting man" but I have no compassion for anyone so on another note fix the pain at the source.
That sounds like something my ****** assed FTS Gunny would say. I did more restriction from telling him to suck my dick than I can count.

On the second note if you want to alleviate as much pain as possible, get adjustable bars like the ones Sprock has: The dan moto ones :3D Clip On 41mm Black [HD-00009] - $69.00
this helps alot, you can adj out the angle, taking pressure off the wrists, that eliminates the nerve tension in the hands, helping your knuckles from going numb. This will not eliminate the pain, but can help it become more withstanding than it is now.
This looks helpful, If the lock doesn't do the trick this may be on the agenda.

Also good quality grips help alot, as well as a throttle helper:THROTTLE ASSIST FOR ALL MODELS IMPORT & AMERICAN BIKES | eBay. So it will take a little Hueristic analysis on your part to get the best combo for you.
LOL, you mean "heuristic". That thing doesn't look to safe to me and I like the way I don't have to hold onto the bar once it's locked.

Originally Posted by Sprock
Adjustable bars as Dub says - add to that heavier bar end weights, large foam grips
a throttle lock the throttle tube clamping style - as good as it gets.

Not a fan of gel gloves myself - too bulky - I usually ride with a relaxed grip anyhow
Grabbing the bars too firmly leads to serious discomfort which means in my opinion
you are doing it wrong .....lol
I was thinking of the foam grips but if they act as sponges then that's a wash.
Not sure what the throttle tube style lock is?

Originally Posted by jarvid
My fingers/hands would both go numb after 15 mins, I got some slip on foam covers for the grips and some gel gloves, whenever I would give the ol girl a gut full I could barely hang on, dangerous I think. So I bit the bullet and paid AU$130 del for a pair of tuned bar weights, they are made specific to model of bike out of titanium(I think) and steel by a company that manufactures gyros for helicoptors. They work, that is all I can tell you, best money I have spent on the bike (and that is quite a lot) I also fitted bar risers at the same time. I even tried riding with my throttle hand in all types of positions and could not get numb hands. It does not stop all vibrations, just the ones that seem to harm people. They work like a tuning fork apparently. Steve (CBRClassic) had a set on order as well, I don't know how he went with them?
Vibranator.com
Sounds like this is the choice if all else fails.

Thanks for all the input guys. BTW I'm riding with 2 herniated disks. I can handle pain. It's not the pain it's the fact I think the hand is going to lock on me. I guess I should have the Doc check me out. I can still barely move my last two fingers today.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:50 PM

I recently had a post about handlebars conversion on my F2, and the reason was because of the pain in my hands. I finaly ordered a set made by Spiegler from Germany. I am expecting it any day now and i will post details after i have installed and tryed it. Cheers from Greece.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:51 PM

My hands are shot too. I used to have problems with my hands riding but now I lift my fingers off the throttle and wiggle them while riding. And I hold the throttle lightly. Last, gloves helped as well.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nigejo
I recently had a post about handlebars conversion on my F2, and the reason was because of the pain in my hands. I finaly ordered a set made by Spiegler from Germany. I am expecting it any day now and i will post details after i have installed and tryed it. Cheers from Greece.
Looking forward to it.

Originally Posted by bicklebok
My hands are shot too. I used to have problems with my hands riding but now I lift my fingers off the throttle and wiggle them while riding. And I hold the throttle lightly. Last, gloves helped as well.
Yeah I've been doing that. It does help for awhile.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:03 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I was all prepared to analyze the situation today, and guess what? No pain on either run. Maybe I've managed to ride through it. My bike sat for two years and I only got back on the road last spring (autumn for you down-unders) but I've been riding daily since then.

Mileage may be the answer

Another suggestion would be to make a crude protractor and make sure both bars are aligned to each other via the upper tree. Also, even though the fluid reservoirs should be level make sure the controls are aligned and are a natural extension of your hands.

If all else fails, think about the guys who rode old Ducatis with dual Del'Ortos. I shiver just imagining that

Last edited by wooferdog; 08-31-2012 at 02:23 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:50 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I was having a lot of trouble with my wrist when I first got my bike too , Very thick foam grips really helped a lot , but I think also I just got used to it because it does"nt seem to be much of a problem now . I boxed for years and my hands / wrists are pretty banged up and was the reason I stopped boxing

Old 08-31-2012, 06:04 PM
Banned

Well good news I rode for 1/2 an hour today without much issue. I think it was the rain that did it. Must have arthritis. It's in my spine and shoulder so must be in my knuckles as well.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:33 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The rubber, gel grips help, and are impervious to rain.

Risers let you sit more upright and adjust the angle,
helping to keep your forearm aligned with your hand.

The cramp-buster is perfectly safe. The idea is to give you leverage,
This allows you to avoid an overly-tight grip on the throttle.

I personally like the clamping or bar-end tensioning throttle-controls. When on,
it just resists the springs, but the throttle still turns freely.

One other point to watch for...Check the glove fit. Make sure the palm is properly fitted.
If it's too small for your hand, it can cut off circulation to the fingers.

The key here, is to objectively look at the ergonomics of you (the rider) coupled
to the machine.

Put it on a rear-stand, sit on the bike and assume the postion.
Ask yourself, "Where am I stretching, twisting, uncomfortable or off-balance?"
Consider all of the points of contact, hands/feet/seat. Move the controls,
until they are taliored to you.

You can't help past injury, but you can certainly accomadate it.

Good luck, Ern

Old 08-31-2012, 07:07 PM
Banned

Great info MH thx.