CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

gas milage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

checked it yesterday and with a little sporty riding keeping it between 4-6k most of the time with a few 120 blasts and not too many hard accelerations...over 115 miles on my first leg I ended up with 39mpg US. Im pretty happy with that. I did find that when the gauge says I hit reserve I have gone through about 3 gal...so I figure if I just fill up when it says to then I should be ok and have some wiggle room on the miles.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:10 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

39 is pretty good riding like that.
I haven't checked mine in a while, and I removed all the P.A.I.R stuff near the end of last season. Haven't checked it since. I'm wondering if it did anything to my mpg.
I'll just have to go out and check it again soon.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:01 PM

I've been keeping track of my mileage since i purchased her and get about 34 to 36 mpg US on average. I have a small fuel leak in the carbs though not enough to drip but enough that you can smell it about 10 ft away. When i first got her there were a few tanks that averaged above 40mpg US before thje leak worsened. Reminds me i really gotta fix that leak.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:50 AM

My fuel guage seems to be pretty accurate. I get about 42-45mpg if I dont hot rod.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CBRriderNevada
Hey Red, I put new plugs in, new front tire on (mine was cupping) and cleaned the carbs. I then took the F out for a couple of runs lately (day before yesterday). No wind, clear day and temp at about 75 degrees. I went 75 miles to a little station in Nixon, NV and filled up. It took 1.38 gallons which is about 54 mpg. I then drove back to my local gas station and filled up again. It took 1.41 gallons, which is about 53 mpg (must be uphill on the way back).
The terrain is flat, but the air is thin out here (5,000 foot level). The bike should run rich at 5,000 level, but it doesn't. I rode at about 70 to 90 mph.
You guys that are getting in the high 30s (ie 39 mpg) have got to have something wrong. We have that 10% gas out here so the "corn squeezin's gas" is not different.
I was getting 45 mpg then cleaned the carbs, put on a new front tire and changed the spark plugs and now I added close to 8 mpg. New front tire and air pressures at 40 psi, each tire. I am 6' and weigh 230 pounds (before breakfast), so the weight difference can't be that much.
Are you sure you are not riding in a NorEastern going against the wind?
P.S. Tobiahr your gas leak is going to end up as a "Flaming Flammingo" if you don't get that fixed. Plus, 34-36 mpg is bad mileage....
I get in the 30mpg range on spirited rides lol

Old 04-22-2009, 02:09 PM

tires are new and carbs are newly cleaned, but I do know that they need to be synced and the plugs are old...I was going to change them, but finding them here has been an issue...dont knwo why, but no one has them so far...will keep looking. I also have that lead wrist and it was a very windy day all day long on my ride...lots of hills...nothing is flat over here...im at about 2500ft most of the time. it was also 60º. I just rode the way I would ride...not trying to get good mileage...just looking to see what I ended up with in the end.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:01 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK so went out for an early morning blast , no traffic so I could really go for it, just lots of hard accelerating , breaking and leaning over hard for the curves . Filled her up this evening and worked out I got 37mpg , not bad considering I was really trying to wear down my chicken strips. Got this tyre with the bike and the previous owner had squared off the rear quite a bit , but with this nice dry weather I've virtually eliminated them
Nevada , I got no idea how you managed 54? Must be that thin desert air at 5000ft creating less drag , maybe we all need to clean and balance our carbs!

Quick Reply: gas milage?