CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

gas milage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 05:46 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're right, classic, they do eat the fuel when you rip on it.
All motors do, but it seems like you really see it on the bigger bikes.

My gauge actually works quite well. It's surprising. It drops quicker on the second half of the tank, but that's about it. Not bad.

I just wish I could get a little better mileage. I used to get 36mpg out of my civic hatch, and that was a 1600cc (and a car!). Seems like I should be getting like 200mpg out of the bike!

Old 04-17-2009, 07:03 PM
Administrator - Retired

I think the trick if you want to get more millage out of these old girls , is to just be super gentle with your right hand and try to keep them under around the 100 120 klm per hr (60-70mph) mark...
Absolutely impossible. I tried it. In fact, I've tried it several times.
You're gonna have to come up with some other way to get better mileage, CBRClassic. This isn't gonna happen.
I wanted to know how good of mileage I could get, so I figured I could lay off the throttle for at least one full tank.
Didn't happen, so I tried the next tank. Still didn't happen.
I think I've tried this on at least 20 different full tanks with the same result. And once you hammer it with one tank, it's just a race to see how fast you can burn the rest so you can try again on a fresh, full tank.
Rinse. Repeat.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think about going nice and easy all day long...right through work...then I get on the bike and say screw it...done going slow...now its time to ride, lol....and yes...you are right about the race to the finish...finish the tank....kinda weird...in my car I try to get goo mileage..in the bike its a game to see how much I can burn and how fast, lol. the worse the mileage the more fun I had. I LOVE THIS BIKE...even with the girl on the back she still rips pretty damn well through the back roads and twisties...just did 105 miles today...mostly through the back roads....didnt take long.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:55 PM
November 2009 ROTM

Around 330 kms to a full tank ,cruising speed on the Highway/Freeway.
Yeah the Gauge is useless,but then Gauges are only accurate up to a certain value any way,take the 12 Gauge for example.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:25 AM

I tend to prefer a 10gauge myself. they seem to be accurate at hitting anything within 30 feet of me...good enough for me. yeah my gauge sucks...going to ride today till I hit the server and note where it lists on the gauge...at least then I will have some idea of my cutoff point.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:38 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of the time I can get 40-45MPG if I take it easy , but not really much worse on the twistys . I think the problem is drag , over 70-80 MPH the drag on a bike , even though it has fairing , is HUGE! Try releasing the throttle at 100mph and see how fast you shed speed!

Don't forget as well for you guys in the US , we have imperial gallons here in the UK , which are slightly larger than a US gallon , so our gas mileage will appear to be better. So 36 mpg might be about normal.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:16 AM
Administrator - Retired

Good call on the Imperial galllons, hawkwind.
That means:
My US 36mpg = 43mpg (imp)
Which would be right around the same as shadow if they use imperial measurements (I think they do?)
However, the other US folks seem to be getting a little better mileage....

Quick Reply: gas milage?