CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000F "Hurricane" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/)
-   -   Fuel Valve Testing Help!! (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/fuel-valve-testing-help-146983/)

kiwi JK 05-24-2013 05:17 AM

If the bike has been sitting for 8 years,the Oring seals on the fuel feed tees and/or the overfolw tubes will probably need replacing, sorry but that means carbs have to come off, all very character building but not too difficult if you go about it in a methodical way and basicly demount but not necessarily remove battery box, air filter box, cables etc and wriggle wriggle wriggle the inlet tubes and pull back the filter case and then wriggle (does this sound familiar?) the carbs off the head . there is enough space to pull the carb assembly out.
Separate the carb assembly noting what goes where and reassemble using new Orings on both tees.
Refitting the carbs is easier if you use some sort of rubber compatable lubricant (KY maybe) joking. Hand cleaner soap gel or similar works well and just reverse the wriggle wriggle method while pushing the assemblies forward.
Good luck
Go well
JK

Sprock 05-24-2013 07:56 PM

+ 1 with JK's O-Ring recommendation

kilgoretrout 05-24-2013 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Sean1000f (Post 1234080)
Thanks to all for the advice. I stripped down the petcock valve last night on the kitchen table (wife was well happy!!). The diaphragm and rubber valve seat are connected by a stainless steel tube (all 3 connected as a single part). I went behind the diaphragm and pulled on the (what I now know to be) the seat rubber. It made a popping sound and I thought i has damaged it. In fact the rubber had actually bound itself to the seat (bike has been idle for 8 years). Tested it on the table by sucking on the tube, worked perfect (in both reserve and ON positions)

Got the bike started last night (FANTASTIC:icon_smile:) but then there was fuel leaking in the area of 3&4 carb and bike dies at low revs (:icon_frown:). Had a look on the forum and maybe looks like a sticking float. Hopefully get more detail over the weekend, hopefully don't need to take those bloody carbs off again!!

Once again thanks to all who contributed.

Maybe a post coming soon re the fuel leak.

No problem, man. And ya know, I think my valve needs cleaned/rebuilt as well. I think it's sticking like that intermittently. Probably from crappy gas over the years.

But yeah, likely the o-rings leaking. Like TK said.... :(
You'll probably just want to do an entire clean up while you've got them off. Oh, and it's easier the second time if that helps any. lol...

Sprock 05-24-2013 08:12 PM

Oh and if you do get into the replacement of o-rings on the T's
watch for flying buttlerfly tension springs once you separate the
carb bodies to get the T's out

mkiddPdx 08-18-2017 08:28 PM

I'm having a similar issue of fuel not flowing from the tank. I have a clear fuel line, and it's completely dry. I've tried sucking on the fuel valve vacuum tube with no luck.
First I disconnected it from the carb and it wouldn't draw at all (this is the suggestion I originally read elsewhere). Then I connected it to the carb and I could get air flowing but the fuel still didn't flow. Any suggestions?

Background: '91 CBR600 F2, sat in previous owner's back yard for two years under a tarp. He claims he drained the carbs and tank before putting it back there. New spark plugs, battery, coolant, hoses, and fuel line. Still trying to start it for the first time...

Thanks!

jarvid 08-26-2017 03:33 AM

Firstly, welcome to the forum.

Most scenarios are already covered in this thread for fuel flow problems from tank, maybe start another thread in the 600 section to get some different ideas on your problem.

TimBucTwo 08-26-2017 12:25 PM

Welcome to the forum.

You may want to take it apart to see if its got blockage or is dry and stuck.

mkiddPdx 10-19-2017 01:16 PM

Thank you guys. It was indeed dry and stuck but not rotted. Cracking it open was all it took.