CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Fuel leak due to storage

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It may just be jealousy.....how many other people actually own custom orange Craftsman tools?

Old 09-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trout, you can return my screwdrivers anytime before friday. I will be back from Florida then....

Old 09-07-2010, 10:19 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by donles316
It may just be jealousy.....how many other people actually own custom orange Craftsman tools?
NOBODY just Trout cuz he's always the only one....... he has like a 20 year
supply of WD 40 and he'll be damned if he's gonna reduce that to a 19 year
supply ....... I mean jeez what if there was a world revolt and he held the
key to saving all humanity with his stash of WD 40

Get real ppl ........ Trouts got a long range plan here ........it's like a Martha
Steward thing ..........lets just focus in the carbs shall we

Old 09-08-2010, 07:05 PM

I hate to take away from the fun, but.......

I finally got the carb bank out and pulled the floats. None of the floats were filled with gas (though it sat for awhile before I finally was able to remove the bank) but the #2 bowl did have a decent amount of fuel sitting in the bowl (and then on the floor when I got the cover off). All of the float valves seemed to move freely, but you can definitely smell that the fuel has varnished.

Do I just soak the float valves in carb cleaner, put it back together and hope for the best, or are there other steps I should be taking.

Also, a few of the cap screw heads were stripped. No, not by me. Do you know if Honda sells these screws individually, or would I be just as well off hitting the local Home Depot and finding exact matches. Not to be negative, but if I have to take it all apart again, I don't want to be fighting with stripped screw heads.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:42 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't soak the valves in carb cleaner, but maybe use something like seafoam. Since they're rubber, many carb cleaners will swell/damage them. It may not seem like it right away, but down the road they can begin to fail.
However, I've used a little carb cleaner on a q-tip to clean in the hole where it seats, in case there's dirt/varnish in there.
On the screws... yeah, just take one to lowes/home depot and match them up. You may want to switch them out for ones with allen heads instead (if you can find them) so they can't strip out in the future.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:49 PM

Good idea on the allen head screws. I won't soak the floats--I had the same concerns about the affect of carb cleaner on them. I didn't disconnect the throttle cables, so the bank is still tethered to the bike. However, I was going to try and flush them best as I could with either carb cleaner or seafoam. I may just use the seafoam in case there is any that runs over--don't need to add a paint job to the problems. After that, going to put it back together (minus the body panels) and see if it's better at all. If so, I'll finish buttoning it up, drain the gas tank, add some seafoam and take it for a spin.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:29 PM
Administrator - Retired

Sounds like a plan, man. Wish you luck.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:30 PM

Thanks to you. If you're ever in Central FL, let me know. There's always cold beer.....always. I owe you about a case for all the help.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by donles316
Thanks to you. If you're ever in Central FL, let me know. There's always cold beer.....always. I owe you about a case for all the help.
BEER RUN to Don's place!!

Old 09-09-2010, 09:04 PM
Administrator - Retired

No problem, man. Glad I could help.
And you're welcome here for a beer, too... if you're ever up this way.

Quick Reply: Fuel leak due to storage