CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Front Tire Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 10:27 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Front Tire Question

I just had a mate (Shaun, who I bought the 1000F from) go down on a brand new Blade -the Repsol - at 140 KPH. ........reason - front tyre came away from the rim ! He broke a leg, an ankle, a couple of ribs, and was in hospital for a month. He was in full gear, or wouldn't have survived. Bike was a write-off. And he's a superbike school instructor...........how much chance would we have........? None !

Old 11-12-2008, 02:54 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone here tried Avon tyres ?

Old 11-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The cracking that you see is dry rot. The tires are old. You may have bought them 4 years ago but they they have been sitting in a warehouse someplace for a few years.

When friends of mine buy a used bike, they bring it over to my house an point to what they call new tires on a bike that has been sitting in a shed for several years. They tell me how good of a deal they got. The first thing I do is go over and point out the dry rot on the tires. Without a tube in the modern tire, it could deflate while riding or be flat when coming out of a restaurant. You should get it changed as soon as possible.

I don't like to mix tires. They are designed to be ridden together. Some have harder centers and softer sides while the sport tire are sticky and may not work as well in the rain. I have had mixed tire on bikes before. I remember one time when the mix caused the rear to hook up in the rain but the front had poor grip. The same setup in dry conditions caused the front to hook up but the rear would slide out. I personally like both tires to be doing the same thing at the same time.

Tires are costly but well worth replacing when they get old.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mix tires.....never as it's been said. Different characteristics. Old cracked tires.....noooo. Don't follow the example of "Burt Monro" & fill the cracks with shoe polish. Don't follow my example & put a tube in it either. I have one in my rear at the moment heaven forbid. Three week old tire & then a puncture because some stupid tradesman didn't clean up his mess after building a shed. The problem is if you get a puncture with a tube it's like a balloon. Pop.Many other issues with tubes too which is why I will replace the tire very soon. Replace both tires as a matching set. Lots of peso's but worth it in the end. There are other threads on the forum about tire choice. Have a look at some of those & talk to other riders & shops. Then make up your mind which you think will be best for your style of riding.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:19 PM

just thinking on applying shoe polish....that's a good one, there are some guys here that would put Coca-cola on the sides, because according with them, the tire looks like new ("armor all" finish they said) and also they said it will help to protect the rubber by creating a coat of..."sugar" that will prevent the tire from drying up....now I know why we have lots of ants and beesduring the bike events

Old 11-13-2008, 11:29 PM

World's Fastest Indian/Hurricane????. Best ever movie. The second disk with all the extras & interviews is as good as the movie too. I've lost count how many times I've watched it. The missus won't even sit in the same room if it's on. Apparently Burt only gave up because the rules were changed.

Quick Reply: Front Tire Question