CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Front Sproket

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts
Default RE: Front Sproket

ORIGINAL: Daniel_ARG

Hmm so it's not as simple as just replacing a sprocket, also the chain must be replaced as well.
Thanks for the explanation, I'm new to chain drives (always had shaft, except for my old CB750F) so any info is always welcomed
Daniel_ARG, don't get me wrong. You don't always have to replace the chain. Just realize that when you go up or down on the sprockets, you're effectively changing the outside diameter that the chain has to go around. There is only so much adjustment you can make back at the rear. If you're thinking of a particular setup, then post up and see if anyone here has the same combo and what their experience was.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hsd, 1 down, 2 up, will get you this! Stock motor, will lift in first by just turning the throttle if your so inclined. And for those of you that gotta ask why, TRY IT!

Only problem I have is that it seems to need an extra gear when riding. But I'll take the tradeoff for the extra grunt.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee24/gwhit71/me1.jpg

Old 02-21-2008, 11:56 PM

Whats up idodirt, you know these Americans will steal you blind also.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:06 AM

ok 1 down in the front and 2 up in the rear, will give me the willie torqe to lift her up, GOOD **** excuse the exspression and choice of words. i tryed with the stock engine and gears but it didnt launch up to well just takes off with speed, had a little lift but want more, it has aftermarket pipes thats it.
will change and report my outcome

Old 02-22-2008, 07:41 AM

Hey Beano, from my experience and reading these forums, the speedos are off by 10% from the factory/stock. Your not going to get it to be accurate no matter what. And throwing in different tire sizes, and sprocket config's only makes it worse. You'll see when you mount the GPS and get a true reading. So when your cruising at 160km your your doing 145km. good for the speeding tickets I guess. But if your pullin wheelies down a 1/4 mile track, who cares right!!!

Old 02-22-2008, 08:07 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Idodirt, firstly, I'm an African.......!! We Africans come in all shapes and sizes, and colours too, seeing as you mentioned it - I DIDN'T - also all creeds , religions, political opinions and ideologies......it is also common cause that AFRICA has the highest crime rate in the WORLD, per capita, for ANY GROUP OF COUNTRIES IN ANY REGION..........
So, if you see a racist comment in my statement after that, then I can't help you..........even if you need it....
Apology accepted......... but if you'd like a few statistics on AFRICAN CRIME, I'll be glad to provide them.....I am after all, an industrial court arbitrator, and can substantiate every word of this, both statistically and after 35 years in the legal systems of many AFRICAN countries.
And if, in future, you'd like to " have a go" at me, get your facts straight first, please, or do it in a less public forum. I may not be as polite a second time......

Old 02-22-2008, 11:38 AM

Never a dull moment in the CBR forum!

Old 02-22-2008, 11:38 AM

Hey Gill thats right! I normally dont care about my top speed and usually dont even go above 80, buts its nice to know you can get to 80 just a little quicker and if some hunny's are next to you, you can lift up the front if you get stupid. Once i put my GPS on and see how much its off it wont be a big deal. Cops around here dont watch for speeders on the side streets and on the highways, ill just be crusing with the gps so it wont be a big deal. I just put on the sprocket, new tires before the winter and little crap like that so i know its way off.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:04 PM

Im putting on a new chain for my CBR 900RR 99 and it a little long how can I take the remainder links off?

Old 02-11-2010, 10:17 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

grind off the head of the rivet pin on the appropriate link

Quick Reply: Front Sproket