CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Free Play on swingarm

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Free Play on swingarm

Guys, before my bike goes in for its MOT, I am trying to get al the little bits sorted. According to Haynes (must be true) there can be no free play when lifting the rear wheel up and taking up the free play. I have a little movement here, about quarter inch. Having stripped out the swingarm and suspension completely, (paint job mucho needed) has anyone else got this kind of movement. There is no radial play whatsoever, so I reckon swingarm bearings are fine. Also cant see any play in any bearings in link. Any ideas? Maybe its not a fault??

Cheers

Ara

Old 02-10-2006, 03:16 PM
Default RE: Free Play on swingarm

So at the rear wheel, there is no sideways movement, but you have freeplay when lifting up and down? It seems that the rear spring should have constant pressure on the swingarm and there should be no freeplay. Have someone move it while you look and see where the freeplay is.

Old 02-10-2006, 10:38 PM

Mine did that once, and it was a loose bolt on top of the rear shock. Since you said you stripped out the suspension I assume it's tight, but it's worth a look.

Old 02-11-2006, 07:44 AM

Morning,
Thanks for that. It is really difficicult to tell exactly where the free play is due to the linkage, but I think I can see (prior to the removal) that the actual shock is rising fractionally so I reckon you're right, must be top mounting bush. Now to see if nice Mr Honda sell that as a spare... Doubt it!

Ara

Old 02-12-2006, 04:35 AM
dad

It's certainly good to look over all of those joints but, before to panic, the rear wheel motion to shock motion is on about a 4:1 ratio, so a little play in a few linkage joints will be magnified dramatically at the wheel. It's always good to pull all of that stuff apart every so often and clean, inspect, and repack with a good moly grease. Maybe something like ten years or fifty thousand miles, whichever comes first.

Old 02-12-2006, 03:31 PM

Evening,
I agree the linkage is a pain as far as locating the freeplay. What I hate more though is booking an MOT and then being told there is too much freeplay in the rear wheel, when I had the stuff off,a nd wastng forty quid. Are there any MOT testers on here who can give me an answer to whether or not a quarter inch of up-down movement would fail it? Next time your CBR is on it's centre stand, can you let me know how much freeplay yours has. Many Many thanks.

Ara

Old 02-13-2006, 04:24 PM
jim
Default MOT Faliure

Dear Aracanth

I had a very similar problem on my MOT, the MOT check list form has a box that can be ticked if there is to much play laterally or vertically and it also has another box that can be ticked if the rear shock is seized or has no play in it and both box's represent a failure.
I took the bike in and it failed under the seized criteria but the MOT station gave me a free re-test, I should imagine there will be a Bike MOT test centre that will do a similar free re-test.

The MOT guy was a bit of a **** cheese but he did put me right and told me what needed to be done to fulfil the MOT requirements, I suggest that you get the bike tested and then you will be aware of what needs to be done.

For what its worth it sounds as though the rear shock bushes were over tightened by a previous over zealous owner and now you have re assembled it all correctly and tightened it up correctly they are a bit loose/squished/worn, is there no way you can pack out the gap with a few nylon washers and some grease, just for the MOT ?

Kind Regards

Jim

Old 02-13-2006, 08:04 PM
Default RE: MOT Faliure

What does MOT stand for.
In Queensland, Australia, They just send a Registration Renewal in the post and you just pay it (12 months or 6 months options)

Road Worthy’s are done on change of ownership

Old 02-13-2006, 08:18 PM

ORIGINAL: MarkR

What does MOT stand for.
In Queensland, Australia, They just send a Registration Renewal in the post and you just pay it (12 months or 6 months options)

And that is why there are so many bunkies on the roads

When I liven in the N.T the bike has to be taken over the pits at least once per year!

MOT is like a rego isnpection except the really put the rubber glove on and check just about every single bloody nut & bolt.

Old 02-13-2006, 08:37 PM

What does MOT stand for.

Quick Reply: Free Play on swingarm