CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000F "Hurricane" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/)
-   -   Free front sprockets for 1kF owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/free-front-sprockets-1kf-owners-42836/)

R1000 07-18-2007 03:06 AM

RE: Free front sprockets for 1kF owners

Have the wheelie-sprocket been tested yet [8D]

mikekop 07-18-2007 08:20 AM

No, sorry:) This is my third day of vacation, so I haven´t gotten around to try it yet. I rode on monday, and actually learned a bit more on how to wheelie my bike, by using the clutch, full throttle on 1:st gear revved up to about 6500 rpm and then hitted the clutch fast, yehaa. I can only imagine how easy it will be to wheelie with the sprocket you gave me. No time tomorrow either, I´m going to Härnösand to buy a "new" car, a Volvo V40 2,0T Classic -04. I will keep my old Volvo,a V70 TDI -98 and make it Light Truck-registrated, and use it as work/commuter car to Norway where I work.

R1000 07-18-2007 08:35 AM

Aaah, I've not dare to use the clutch, I'm afraid to lose the grip...

2.0T should be a very nice car, and you have something to upgrade, see http://sv.bsrab.se/products/t529/

I have a S60 T5 -02 that is chipped to 300 hp. I installed adjustableKoni yellow street-sport shocks a few days ago, no it is very nice also in turns.

mikekop 07-18-2007 03:20 PM

Yeah, I know I can chip it, my brother´s done it on his -99! He´s having an issue though with the turbo not keeping enough pressure, it´s not getting over 0,7 bar, the guys in Stäket(?) said it should boost almost 0,8 bar. They said it could be the boost overpressure valve that operates with a spring and a transfer arm rod being worn. It´s done 150000 km... Still it´s an improvment from stock 0,4 bar.
I don´t think I´ll chip it though, but who knows...:D

R1000 07-18-2007 04:24 PM

I thought the same that I was not going to tune the car. I thought that only 20 % power increase, from 250 to 300 should give so little that it was not worth the quite expensive and not absolutely necessary tuning. Well, after three years in 2005, I decided to give it a try even though it was around $1000. It was definitely worth it, the characteristics of the engine become much better and the 50 horses felt far more than 20 %. Like one more engine was added. The torque I believe was increased from 330 Nm to about 400 Nm. It made a major difference to the better. The stock turbo pressure was 0.8 and the peak pressure is now about 1.2 Bar. I have had a lot of fun also abroad with the tuned car; it is reasonable fast compared to most other vehicles on the German autobahn. The top speed is almost 265 km/h compared to stock 250 km/h but the main thing is that the engine pulls better at normal rpm’s. The only problem that I have had is the need change front brake disk twice since they seems to get overheated when braking from 250 km/h down to the speed cars in front are driving on Autobahn.

I just came back from the garage; the 46-tooth rear sprocket is in place and will be tested tomorrow. The gearing is now changed for about 10% more rpm and the bike will still make around 270 km/h, which is far more than enough. It will still not rev higher on 6th gear at cruising speed than any modern sport bike.

MarkR 07-18-2007 05:37 PM

I'm not sure if I missing something, but I thought that changing the sprockets is just changing the gearing, so say if my bike has stock gearing and I have a mate that has the same bike which is gear up, he will have more power, toque and revs, but if he rides in 6th and I ride in 5th, then I have more power, toque and revs. (he will beat me at the lights)
Did I understand that right?

R1000 07-18-2007 07:26 PM

Yes you are right and the gearbox makes it possible to always find a gear that pulls well. But, if you really want to have more torque on the rear wheel on all gears, changing the final gearing is a cheap option. The top speed on each gear will of course go down, except for the top gear in case the engine power is less than thebike is geared for. The Hurricane is slightly over-geared and benefits from having a 16 tooth front sprocket instead of the stock 17 tooth, from an acceleration perspective.

From a performance point of view, changing the gearing is almost always done to get better acceleration and engine response to a predefined and lower top speed. The bird is a heavy bike and it is geared for 300+ km/h. I find it by far better to shave some of the top speed off and get better performance on all gears up to 270 km/h. The top speed could even be recuded more in favor to make the bikes engine more responsive, but then the rpm will go up by more than 10 %, which could be annoying and it also cost fuel. 6th gear on the bird in stock shapeis like an over-gear that you reallydon’t want on a motorcycle. It isnice if the engine pulls so well than one can eliminate some of the downshifts in traffic. The Hurricane is slighly better in this respect than the bird.People that are concerned by fuel costs, often goes the opposite way and installs a larger front sprocket.

Edit - link http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0306_grng/

MarkR 07-19-2007 12:05 AM

I remember when we had the Vitara 2L V6 5speed manual and we went on some dirt tracks with some friends,
Is was a pain in the arse as there was no power down low and the gears were too long, always change between a gear that was to revie or one that was too low.
I decided to put it in 2L from 2H, and what a difference, short gears and had 3 good gears to play with, as long as I didn’t want to go 100kh, it was a fun thing.

Thinking how I use the bike and that I have already brought new stock sprockets, I should have geared it down a little. (less speed, more power)

weekendrider 07-20-2007 09:13 AM

I think that R1000 is saying that the bike dos not have the hp to pull 10500 in top. So gear it to wear you ride it so it works for you. Maby like 0 to 120k real smooth but blast to 240k for the thrill factor.