Fork gap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 12:50 PM
July 2014 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fork gap?

Hi,
can some one HELP please.

I have a 93 1000F and having problems changing the front wheel ( the existing is apparently the wrong spec) and the new correct size wont fit between the forks right at the tyre edge.

Does anybody know the correct gap between the forks? I have a suspicion they may be the wrong forks for the year?

Bummed as I just bought the rim and a brand new tyre!!! So watch out there may be a NEW tyre and rim for sale

thanks

Rich

Old 07-01-2011, 04:43 PM

It's about 5 1/4 inches.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:31 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My inch tape says more Paco, but I reckon I'll have to get a tape or ruler with
milimeters for Bugkiller...... they're pretty much metric over there

Measuring from inside the axle eye to the same on the other side

Old 07-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like a triple tree problem. The triple clamp controls the spacing. Is the tire 120/70-17?

And Sprock, the jolly old English use inches and measurements based on the kings foot. They also use MPH but drive on the wrong side of the road just to **** off the rest of the world.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 07-02-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:21 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
And Sprock, the jolly old English use inches and measurements based on the kings foot. They also use MPH but drive on the wrong side of the road just to **** off the rest of the world.
We drive on the left because it's the right thing to do! You guy's that drive on the right are wrong, if you want to be right drive on the left not the right. Deep down you know I'm right to drive on the left. I've driven on the right at times, but it felt wrong and it was good to get back home and drive on the right side again, which is to say the left of course

Bug Killer, I'm in Brighton, not too far away, if you need to compare forks feel free to drop by, my bike's a 1991 but I think they should be the same

Old 07-03-2011, 03:17 AM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
Sounds like a triple tree problem. The triple clamp controls the spacing. Is the tire 120/70-17?

I think you'll find Tim, that the majority of the world drives on the left. Put China and India into the mix and you yanks are seriously outnumbered. Throw in the rest of Europe and the numbers still stack in favour of LHD.
For the record I'm not saying there's a right or wrong though. I feel comfortable driving either side.
As far as imperial vs metric? You can shove imperial right up your ****. We should never, ever EVER!!! use it on this forum given that half of us are in the states where it's not even the same unit as the rest of the world may or may not be used to.
Go metric, you know it makes sense.
Rant over.

Rich,
this sounds a bit of a pisser. What distance do you have between the forks anyway. I'll try to measure mine and check this out for you.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:19 AM
July 2014 ROTM
Question More Info on fork gap

Hi Guys,

current wheel/tyre is 110/80 x 17 which we know comes off a cbr600.

New wheel tyre is 120/70 x 17

Fork gap (inside stanchion to onside stanchion) = 140MM

The problem is that when we change the wheel over (with new correct spacers) the discs are out of alignment by about 1-2mm causing then to score/rub.
we now suspect the yokes are from a cbr600 but cannot verify this as they look identical.
Any sensible suggestions welcome

Thanks Guys

As for L/H v R/H - LH in the UK usually means lots of traffic whereas RH in Europe gives wide open roads! No connection really but an interesting point given the open roads on the US.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:21 AM
July 2014 ROTM
Thumbs up Thanks

Originally Posted by hawkwind
We drive on the left because it's the right thing to do! You guy's that drive on the right are wrong, if you want to be right drive on the left not the right. Deep down you know I'm right to drive on the left. I've driven on the right at times, but it felt wrong and it was good to get back home and drive on the right side again, which is to say the left of course

Bug Killer, I'm in Brighton, not too far away, if you need to compare forks feel free to drop by, my bike's a 1991 but I think they should be the same
Hawkwind, thanks for the offer I may take you up on the offer (good excuse for a ride out) if I can't resolve this. Are you coming on the 5th August?

Old 07-03-2011, 06:32 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Originally Posted by Bugkiller
Any sensible suggestions welcome
Sometimes you'd have to wonder if this is the right forum if that's what you're after.

Oh yeah, and ride on the left, if you go over to the right there's all these crazy b4stards going in the wrong direction.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:08 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
Sometimes you'd have to wonder if this is the right forum if that's what you're after.
And don't mention LHD or the lefties get spun up.LOL

The next question is the tube Diameter. If a 600 front end was up on are the tubes the same? Could be that the front got smacked and was replaced with a 600 front end, tubes and all.

Quick Reply: Fork gap?