CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

fork caps stuck?

Old 11-06-2014, 07:55 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fork caps stuck?

I just started the "quick" process of changing out my fork fluid on my 95.

Front end raised off of the ground, plugs removed & oil draining.

I start unscrewing the caps at the top of the forks. I get about 1/2" out and there is a small "pop" and it jump up about another 1/4".

Now it just spins and doesn't seem to be threading out any more. So I am tuck with oil drained (mostly) and I can't get the caps off to refill.

What did I miss? How do I get the caps completely off?

Old 11-07-2014, 03:16 AM
Welcome Crew

if you can lower the bike down to compress the springs up and see if that helps, the pop should be the cap reaching the end of the thread and the cap popping up in the station, may be the o-rings are caught up and it just needs a good pull to get the caps out

Old 11-07-2014, 07:38 AM
Registered Users

That did it, sort of. From reading previous threads about it, I had assumed the forks should be fully extended to take off the spring pressure.

Here is a pic of the fork cap when it stopped unscrewing, but wouldn't come out:

After tipping the compressing the forks, this is what it looked like:

I just had to stick in a wrench to hold the nut under the cap to stop the shaft from turning. It was not only threaded into the top fork tube, but also threaded onto the rod that comes up through the spring.

I also ordered Racetech springs so it will stop nosediving. I'm 260lbs and the stock ones are WAY soft.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the stock springs but added a 5/8" shim to the spring top to take out the static sag. Has worked well for the past 60k miles.

Old 11-07-2014, 04:00 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A bit offtopic but I see a Woodcraft riser bar with a 3" riser bit if I`m not mistaken. How are they working for you? Did you have to mod the fairings or the windscreen to clear the bars? Would kinda one day want a 1kF Cane but the standard riding position is impossible for me.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:56 AM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by Mattson
A bit offtopic but I see a Woodcraft riser bar with a 3" riser bit if I`m not mistaken. How are they working for you? Did you have to mod the fairings or the windscreen to clear the bars? Would kinda one day want a 1kF Cane but the standard riding position is impossible for me.
Yep. I bought them on Amazon a while back. The riding position wasn't too bad before, but the weight on my palms got annoying. I did not do anything to the windscreen to make them fit and the stock cable/hoses to reach, but they are tight.

Here is the angle that I have them set at:

A view from the side showing the height:

And how close it is to the windscreen:

I never even thought of trimming it back any, I just put the risers on and adjusted them where they didn't hit. Quality is very good and I have no regrets about it.

I also added footpegs off of a Goldwing so they are nice & big:

They were an easy swap and cheap on ebay.