CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

FJR replacement (no thanks)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 10:14 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have ridden the VFR and I agree with the all the motorcycle rags that have voted it ‘bike of the year’ so often. When it fell off the BOTY list, they had mentioned that if Honda had upped the cc’s and made the bike a little bigger it would still be on the list. I often thought of the 1kF as just that, a bigger VFR but with an inline-4.

That new VFR does nothing for me now. It is sad to say that Honda is dropping the ball in the sport/touring mix. The VFR was considered the best ST’er time and time again. What the heck are they thinking? With all the unneeded goodies they plan to stick on the new VFR you will need to dig deep for some $, ₤, € or A$.

I agree with what was said, it would be nice to see an upgraded 1kF instead of a wiz-bang-sport-bike.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:15 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wasn't that what the Blackbird was supposed to do, replace the 1000F ?
And even that's gone now.
Dropped the ball at HMC for sure.............................

Old 07-14-2009, 06:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the Blackbird appeared to have over our model seems to be more power and higher top speed. How fast do we need to go??

A good thing about Honda is that they seem to have a firm commitment to keep supplying spare parts for their older models. This should enable us to keep our beloved cbrfs on the road for years to come.

Let's hope Honda pay attention and come up with something, or they'll be left behind!

Old 07-15-2009, 02:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from a 1991 CBR1000F to a Blackbird.

I changed the handlebars to VFR vtec bars and changed to an MRA vario touring screen.

Now i prefer the blackbird to my 1000F.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
Now get thew hell outta here!!! ... .........J/k Deano
Haha - no problem - If parts were as easy to find as they are for the Blackbird - I would still be on a 1000F.

The Blackbird - unlike the 1000F never changed bodywork in its 12 year run and apart from going fuel injection was virtually identical over the 12 years. This makes parts so much easier to find - especially in the UK.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by mikekop
I hear you Shadow! EFI, catalytic converter and modern design dashboard with LCD, WOAAAHH. Add 10 less kg's, + 10 hp and you would have the best bike ever!!!
I think they already make this bike. It's called a Kawasaki ZX-14 I rode one a couple of months ago, and it really felt like a faster (er...way faster) more modern version of the CBR. I think with a set of Helibars and a few other farkles it would be a worthy successor.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by dietDrThunder
I think they already make this bike. It's called a Kawasaki ZX-14 I rode one a couple of months ago, and it really felt like a faster (er...way faster) more modern version of the CBR. I think with a set of Helibars and a few other farkles it would be a worthy successor.
I think I would have to take the Concours-14 out for a ride. It is based on the ZX-14 and has removable bags and shaft drive.

http://www.motorcycle.com/specs/kawa...urs-tm/14.html
There are reviews, you can click on read full review.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 07-24-2009 at 10:49 AM. Reason: sp
Old 07-24-2009, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
I think I would have to take the Concours-14 out for a ride. It is based on the ZX-14 and has removable bags and shaft drive.

http://www.motorcycle.com/specs/kawa...urs-tm/14.html
There are reviews, you can click on read full review.
Oh, I"m with you...I love the new Concours. I was just replying to the previous post about an updated CBR. The Concours is obviously a bit more tour-ish than that.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by dietDrThunder
Oh, I"m with you...I love the new Concours. I was just replying to the previous post about an updated CBR. The Concours is obviously a bit more tour-ish than that.
Yep! The C-14 reminds me of a CBR1100xx with bags. Honda has dropped the ball big time with the ST1300.

A funny side note:
One of my brothers just bought a used GL1500SE. He and his wife went for a long ride. My brother told me that he likes the bike except for the upright riding position.

No bike is perfect, the FJR really let me down though.

Quick Reply: FJR replacement (no thanks)