CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

First Post! Bought a bike that needs help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Post! Bought a bike that needs help.

Hey guys!

As the title states, this is my first post, and I'm needing some help with the bike I just picked up. For reference, it's an '87 1000f.

I have utilized the Search feature of the forum already, using 'Starter' as a keyword. I came across threads illustrating the failure to start the engine due to an alternator damper, a reduction gear and also a broken starter chain. I'm not sure which one of these might be the problem I'm experiencing, so I will go forth in explaining what I have personally experienced so far:

Again, I bought the bike with known starting problems. The previous owner states that, from his own research, he found out that a "plastic gear needed to be replaced, and the bike will only start with a bump-start. Makes a grinding noise when using the electric start."

From here I decided that I would start the repair process with a known-good starter motor. I bought one in good working order and installed it.

We encountered the grinding, or rattling sound when we tried to start the bike last night; The motor does turn freely and almost fired a few times, and I'm sure it would have if we could get a few more rotations out of it. However, whatever is causing the motor to not be able to turn over constantly, and only occasionally as the starter motor is activated is the problem. Here's how we pursued the diagnosis:

> We then uninstalled the starter and tested it outside of the motor. Perfect working order. Spins quickly and quietly (no abnormal noises).

> We reinstalled and encountered the same problem again.

> We then noticed that the noise we were hearing was coming from an area we thought to be behind the alternator. We unbolted the 3 bolts of the alternator and were able to slide the unit out of the engine case by an inch and a half or so (we weren't able to get it out completely. From what I understand, the retaining mechanism for this is under the cover directly below the starter motor, however correct me if I'm wrong.) We hit the starter button and heard the sound of a healthy starter, with no grinding.

> Reinstalled the alternator with the same symptoms as before.

So, what I can conclude is that the problem lies with a component of the alternator assembly, or a component directly associated with it's functionality. Can you guys help me determine what it is and how to repair this?

Much thanks in advance!

And if you're wondering...she's going to be a custom streetfighter when completed! (Purists: don't be too angry...she was beyond repair as far as the original plastics and fairings. Too far gone cosmetically for a restoration)

Old 11-16-2010, 02:12 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could it be the bearings on the stator. There is a section where you can download the manuals. LINK Also could you post a Vid so we could hear it.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Indiana!

I've downloaded what seems to be the Honda factory pdf manual from that link already, and it doesn't seem too helpful as to diagnosis and repair procedures. Is there a better manual out there (i.e. Haynes or Bentley)?

I will try to capture a video of the sound within the next few days (facepalm! should have done that last night while I was at the shop) and try to help you guys out in diagnosis.

Any further help appreciated!

Old 11-16-2010, 05:45 PM
Old 11-16-2010, 06:11 PM

Nice! Haynes looks like it should be quite useful!

Old 11-16-2010, 06:31 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To be honest it sounds like the alternator damper is totally kaput to me or if previously repaired was not done right

Old 11-17-2010, 10:38 AM

Just a small update [no video as of yet to capture the sound for you guys. boo ] in the form of a question:

If I was to start having to search for replacement parts for this alternator, what are some good sources to use? Google-searching is only yielding a few results. Are these parts almost impossible to come by these days?

Old 11-17-2010, 10:53 AM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used BIKEBANDIT.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:00 AM
Old 11-17-2010, 11:03 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CheapCycleParts.com usually 15 ---> 20% cheaper

Last edited by Sprock; 11-17-2010 at 11:16 AM. Reason: added specifics ....pmcg likes em too

Quick Reply: First Post! Bought a bike that needs help.