CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Farings Farings, oh where for art thow Farings?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 10:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Farings Farings, oh where for art thow Farings?

Hey everyone,

I'm new here, and I promise I'll read the old postings (in case there's already lots of info there that I may be needlessly asking about).

I just purchased a 1988 CBR1000F Hurricane. The bike is in good shape mechanically, but definitely needs some cosmetic work. I'm trying to track down farings. I don't mind mismatched etc. I'll paint them to suit. However, my local salvage contacts and online websites have lead me to nothing much except the possibility of shelling out $1000 for a full new faring set which I'm sure none of us really want to do. Especially since I managed to purchase mine for $900. It all passes inspection but I'd say 90% of the mounting tabs are busted off and many pieces are cracked and it won't be too long before the zip ties won't hold em on that well (say another season).

So, I'm looking for any contact info anyone might be able to suggest to aid me in my search for farings. Thanks in advance for the help. Oh, and I don't mind getting after-market farings as long as they fit the bike.

Old 11-27-2005, 11:43 PM
Default RE: Farings Farings, oh where for art thow Farings?

You are fighting the same fight all of us on CBRF are with the 1000F, no fricken fairings anywhere.!!!!!! Try eBay, sometimes I run across a few every now and then, but they are very few and far between. If you find a good source, post up and let us know.

Old 12-01-2005, 02:55 PM

So... If I can't find farings that can be salvaged/repainted to work for my Hurricane, what can I do? Is there any way of using a different year set of front farings/cowl? Any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
--Ian--

Old 12-01-2005, 11:23 PM

hey you can go to air tech they have the side fairings and belly pan for are bike and the price isnt that bad. may need to do a little but that shouldnt hurt you to much.

Old 12-02-2005, 10:24 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

...or you can pay $K's of dollars ordering from a Honda dealer.
My bike fell off the stand(it was on a little rock, did not notice and a strong wind did the rest) when it was new, back in 1988 and the side fairing split like a match.
No way it could be repaired and the cost of the new side fairing was $385 dollars.
So add the inflationary cost of 17 years plus the declining purchasing power of the dollar vs. the Japanese Yen and the cost is about $1 Million Gazillion Gigillion dollars

Old 12-02-2005, 11:00 AM

I found a guy willing to sell me a salvaged front cowl for 450. I'm waiting to see pics to see if it's worth it. Does that seem like a reasonable price? I doubt it includes the indicators or windscreen etc. I bet it's just the cowl itself. Mine just has a not-so-amazing patch job/repaint and I'd like something a little nicer. However.... $450 for a salvaged cowl? Geez!

Old 12-02-2005, 11:08 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That is way too much for a used one , unless is in mint condition and is in no need of paint.
Is this guy on Crazy pills????!!!![:@]
Tell him good luck selling it.

Check in the back of Motorcyclist magazine and Cycle World, for used parts and wrecked/salvaged motorcycle parts and call everyone there and try to strike a deal with them.

Old 12-03-2005, 12:07 AM

my bad the site address is www.airtech-streamlining.com and they now have pictures of the parts that they have to offer us old bike owners. peace.

Old 12-03-2005, 12:14 AM

Have you purchased from this place before for the 1988 CBR1000F? If so, does it have all the tabs you need, or is there modifications etc. required to make those side and bottom farings work?

Thanks again for the heads-up on that one.

Old 12-03-2005, 12:26 AM

i havent yet but will be soon. they say that you may have to drill the holes out but that shouldnt be that diff if you are a lil handy with a drill and a measuring tape. give them a call and let us know what happens. chek out the site mite tell you something.

Quick Reply: Farings Farings, oh where for art thow Farings?