CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Fan Switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 10:57 PM
RIP "The Baron of Bronson"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan Switch

When in original OEM condition, did these old gals have an automatic fan that would come on and off as needed or were they manual?

Mine has a manual switch and the actual switch toggle looks WAY aftermarket. On the outside very clean and nicely installed untill you get inside and it was a chit wire job that I went in and cleaned up so I didn't start a fire. All in all looks and works well, I just have to keep an eye on my temp to use the fan or not. Mostly only in heavy traffic.

Was just courious. And had to show off my clock too heehee

Attached Thumbnails Fan Switch-getattachment.jpg  

Last edited by michealparks; 08-27-2009 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Can't spell worth a dam.....
Old 08-28-2009, 12:57 AM

Definitely auto. The sensor is on the left of the radiator. It's unfortunately not cheap to replace @ approx $90 here in Australia. Still, the switch comes in handy when tuning. Helps to keep the temp stable.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:07 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd be keen to fit one, so an idea of where to connect the wiring would help !
Oh and yes as Blue says, it's an auto switch.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:27 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah , mines' auto as well Mike . Never had a problem with overheating so it's probably the expense that made a previous owner fit a manual , after all why pay $90!

Old 08-28-2009, 05:54 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
All of the above Micheal ....
I recon I would grab a less as you put it "after market" looking switch though ...

One of those black water proof rubber topped ones might look kool ...

BTW - I think a manual switch is better that the auto ones in warmer temperatures ...
Yeah I guess Mikes' average ambient temperature is a bit higher than in UK south coast , though it has been known to break 20 degrees on a hot day

Old 08-28-2009, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by bluebeard
Definitely auto. The sensor is on the left of the radiator. It's unfortunately not cheap to replace @ approx $90 here in Australia. Still, the switch comes in handy when tuning. Helps to keep the temp stable.
I just replaced mine here...was $34. If you ever need one tell me and I'll get it here and send it to you.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow
Easy to do. The switch is to ground, so all you do is disconnect the wire that goes to the auto switch and wire it to one side of your manual switch (make it a beefy one so it can handle the current), and run the other side of the switch to ground.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:42 AM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by michealparks

Was just courious. And had to show off my clock too heehee

Thats great I only have 70,000 miles to catch up to you. Gives me great confindence in the ole girl, she's old enough to drink.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:38 PM
RIP "The Baron of Bronson"

Thanks gents, glad I had the ole fan today, almost 110F (43C). On REAL hot days it can get to 120F/50C.

Thanks Blue, I guess now I know why there's a place for a plug with to go with no wire going there!

Originally Posted by Shadow
Shadow, it actually was a very simple process and simple switch. Almost impossible to screw up. I am going to put her to bed in about 4 weeks for the CCT, Cam Chain, carb sync, a mysterious and reclusive oil leak, and most likely a clutch "just because". I want to get it all done at once and not miss a bit of our good riding season, and I have no idea how old it is. All my parts are in, just gotta get a rivet tool and a clutch.

When I pull her apart I'll take a pic or few for you of the wiring job. My previous owner also wired in a fuse. It makes a big difference when I turn it on, I can feel the heat pour out of there. I wonder if its bigger or more RPM's than factory. Like dietDrThunder said, pretty easy.

Originally Posted by hawkwind
Yeah I guess Mikes' average ambient temperature is a bit higher than in UK south coast , though it has been known to break 20 degrees on a hot day
Sheesh that sounds like my Winter! It actually can get pretty frigid here when it wants. The same crap that brings Hell's front yard, brings air that's colder than a witch's t!t in a brass bra.

And to Indiana, my gal is still doing strong. She may **** and moan a bit when cold, but never fails to start. She was on her way to the junk yard and I rescued her with about 75k on it. I don't regret it for one second.

Thanks again all.

Oh hey shadow, I almost posted a pic last night in the Harley Harrassment thread, but I didn't want to get yer blood boiling... My girl and my Captain's bucket of bolts were parked side by side... I didn't want the hammer to drop on me... lol j/k

Quick Reply: Fan Switch