CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

engine part switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine part switch

Are there any parts that are interchangable between the 1987 and the 1993 cbr1000f engine, and if so are the interior parts mainly the same?I have an undiagnosed engine problem on my 1993 and someone offered to sell me a working 1987 very cheaply, I am trying to figure if I would be able to use most of the parts. I'm wondering if only things like the alternator and c.c.t. were changed. My engine runs, albeit very noisily, but when it goes into gear it shuts off, so I figured something in the crankcase is the problem. Please help. Thanks Thomas.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: engine part switch

When you say noisy - does it improve as the engine warms up ?
Goes away when you rev the engine ?
What mileage have you done ?
When you say it "shuts off" - does the motor just "die" ? Could be something simple like a stuck sidestand switch.......

There were quite a few changes between the 87 and 93 models - carb throats are 1/2mm smaller on the 93 , but the carbs are "slide" types for improved performance. I can't give you all the specs here, but if you want the manual for comparison purposes :
http://members.iinet.net.au/~cbr/Hon...Manual.pdf>
OR
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/midlife/i...ice_Manual.pdf
also go to www.mrcycles.com - there are microfiches and part no's for all the bikes.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:46 AM

When you say that your engine shuts off when you put it into gear, try looking at the side stand nutral gear sensor. This was put on to stop you from riding off with you side stand down. The noise coming from your engine may be the cam chain tensioner not adjusting anymore and will need renewing. The two engines are not compatable as in doing a straight changeover as you will need alot more of the doner bike to swop over. I would stick to trying to solve your own first before trying a change. (no point opening acan of worms for the sake of it)

Old 07-06-2008, 05:45 AM

Thanks for the help, the mr. cycles link was invaluable, I brought up twin pages for 1987 and 1993 and did a side to side comparison of the parts, actually most are the same but I decided not to purchase the '87. I have about 39 or 40,000 miles on it as I am a daily rider so I figure I'll just do a complete rebuild and start new. I have not taken it apart as of yet but will begin next week. the problembegan as follows. while entering the expressway in the right lane I noticed a car dart from the center lane to pass on the right at high speed, coming very close behind me. to keep him from hitting me I gunned the throttle in third gear and accelerated very quickly. at about 9000 rpm the engine just died. I coasted of at the next exit which was very close. after I stoppedI tried to restart the bike, it would start after a minute or so but die quickly after starting. after getting it home I started it and heard a loud noise on the inside so I killed the engine to prevent further damage. sounds like a spun bearing but acts as if something in trans is binding. so i decided instead of opening someone else's can of worms I'd open my own, replace bad part/s and rebuild. thanks for all the advice. and that little voice is gonna get me hurt too.