CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Engine Oil type question (Usage and Types)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Oil type question (Usage and Types)

Would be nice to know what engine oil everyone is using. Since motorcycle oil specific is soo expensive, it would be nice to know what everyone is using these days. I personally like Rotella T 15W40. It is a mineral based high quality oil. It is marketed as a severe usuage in Diesel and Gas equipment but can be used for gas engines. It has an SL and CH4 rating. The high zinc additive makes it a good last line defense in high rev and high temp situation. It is a well kept secret. Although there is a lot of debate on MOBIL 1 RED cap 10w14 and 15w50 as the best oils for todays motorcycles. Feedback anyone.

http://www.rotella.com/racing/index.html

http://www.rotella.com/ubbthreads/po...ard=Motorcycle

Old 07-12-2005, 12:29 PM
Default RE: Engine Oil type question (Usage and Types)

I use shell advance vsx, 10w 40 its a semi synthetic motorcycle oil. Don`t know whether you get shell products in the US. I personally would never use anything other than a specific motorcycle oil for my bike, its asking alot from the oil to work well at high temp high crank pressure and to lubricate the gear box too. But thats my choice.

I don`t use fully synthetic as all the articles i`ve read actually say it doesn`t protect any more than semi in normal road conditions, if i was racing then maybe i would but for the road i don`t bother. And obviously it costs more too.

Old 07-12-2005, 02:39 PM

This is actually an interesting post since I was going to change my bike oil this weekend. I was going to buy Honda factory motor oil myself. Why?? Well because what would be better formulated for my bike than the manufacturers oil. I'm a little afraid of synthetic oil because I'm not sure if its compatible with the wet clutch system, and quite honestly I dont' feel like replacing the clutches because the oil screwed them up! But, if I use factory oil how can I go wrong???

Definately use the correct oil specifications that the manufacturer calls for. Esp in Texas heat, I like to use a little thicker oil because of the heat! Riding around in 104 degree temperature you can only imagine how hot the oil is running and how thin it becomes with high heat. I prefer a little extra protection and that's it. And Texas winters is like 75 degree highs, so a thicker oil will still be ok while everyone else has their bike stored. Hahahaaaaaaaaaaa...

Old 07-12-2005, 03:02 PM

Well just as a side not. The specification rating of the oil in the late 1980's and early 1990's are all outdtated. The new oil ratings SG,SH and SL are far more superior than they used to be then. So it is safe to say that as long as the oil does not have a fiction modifier (Ex. Energy Conservation II) then it is safe for wet clutches while providing superior lubrication. The Rotella T or SB synthetic is formulated for the worst possible conditions both comercial and racing applications. So as long as the rating is higher and the viscocity is correct for your area, it is safe to say that this oil exceeds any standard motorcycle oils that you can find. here is an iteresting artical that may help everyone.

http://www.yft.org/tex_vfr/tech/oil.htm

Old 07-12-2005, 03:35 PM

you do know that honda don`t make oil?

Old 07-12-2005, 03:45 PM

More info on decoding the API grade standard.

http://api-ep.api.org/filelibrary/AP...Guide_2004.pdf

Old 07-12-2005, 04:04 PM

I know that Honda doesn't make oil, but they can have oil ingrediants blended to aid in their engines. I'm not hard core stuck to Honda oils, in fact my bike doesn't have honda oil in it now. But I want to do a quick change to my engine, I know their oil will work fine. I may take some advice to some different brands if they are better. But I still change the oil every 2,000 miles or so anyway...

Old 07-13-2005, 08:51 AM

I use Mobil One Synthetic Diesel Oil.

Works a treat. There is no reason why you can't use car/diesel oils in a bike as long as it isn't friction Modified.
Honda Oil is just re-badged oil. Also some BMW oil is re-badged diesel Synthetic!

Only difference between most bike oils and others is the shear stability. Motorbike gearboxes tend to break apart the long chain moleclues of oil. So your oil may start out as say a 40W but after a few 1000k's it will only be a 30W and so on. Synthetics provide the same lubrication as mineral but don't break down as quickly. High Revs or Lo revs dont destroy oil any quicker or slower. But of course at high revs the 30cc of oil that lines the bores of a 4cyl bike has more exposure to the combustion gases.

This is where Diesel Oil comes into it. Diesel Oil is far more shear stable than any bike or car oil. It is designed to be thrashed about by engines & turbo's with massive torque values that run 24hrs a day and have 50,000k's between oil changes. With the combination of this and the detergents it makes it a far better oil. Also Diesel has less additives as well. If fact some companies just package their diesel oil as Heavy Duty car oil.

Old 07-13-2005, 10:15 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oooooooh, another oil debate -- at least you guys are keeping it civil ... I use Mobil 1 red cap 15W-50 full synthetic and make no arguements either for or against it. Your brand of oil is as personal a choice as a condom. Just remember that if either breaks down you're in trouble

Old 07-13-2005, 02:57 PM

Oil debates are almost like fuel debates. I think it mainly depends on personal choice. I think as long as you use the minimum specifications by the manufacturer and change your oil frequently you will be ok. The only thing I DON'T like in my oil is wax. (I.E. - Penzoil) If you have ever worked on an engine before you will know why. The wax will build up above your valves on top of the head, ugly stuff!!! It does have a purpose, but not necessary with frequent oil changes!!

Hmmm, I wonder if anyone has tried slick 50 in their bike. Now that's an interesting question! I wonder if the clutch had a hard time with that teflon. Heheheh.

Quick Reply: Engine Oil type question (Usage and Types)