CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Engine Balancer Adjustment Help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Balancer Adjustment Help?

After reading several old posts on this forum regarding adjusting the engine balancer shaft and reading the brief procedure in my Haynes manual I decided to give it a shot, sure seemed simple enough. I removed the pinch bolt and began slowly turning the slotted shaft end in the counter clockwise direction, expecting to feel some resistance withing the first 90 degrees of rotation or so. I did not, so reset to my starting position and began rotating again counter clockwise in 180 degree increments so as not to lose count of how far I rotated the shaft. After turning the thing 4 1/2 rotations I became quite concerned as I had still felt no resistance and stopped. I returned the shaft to the starting position and replaced the pinch bolt, thinking that I better ask you guys what the hell is going on???? What do you recommend?

Thanks!!

Old 07-07-2008, 12:09 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Engine Balancer Adjustment Help?

Sometimes, as is the case with your bike, you can't feel any resistance at all....
Some of the Forum members start their bikes, and then adjust the shaft in small increments until it doesn't whine.......

Old 07-07-2008, 04:24 AM

Hmmm. I'm sure I read somewhere that someone turned his about 20 times before he felt resistance - can't see how though! Mine only turned about 45 degrees, but that made all the difference in the world. I'd try it cold, start the engine and then turn it until is starts whining, then just back it up a little.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:43 AM

I havenever had abalance shaft out of the engine to examine it, but looking at the drawings in the manual it doesn't seem like turning this thing around and around should be required. Isn't it an eccentric type of adjuster? Meaning that one 360 degree turn provides all the possible adjustability available?

Old 07-08-2008, 09:48 AM

Yes. Just an eccentric bearing. I think you may have to try adjusting it cold &/or with the motor running.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:50 AM

Thanks for confirming BB. My first attempt was with the engine cold and not running. The damn thing just kept spinning around with zero resistance. I'll try it with the engine running next. Thanks.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:06 PM

I thought it was more like a pre-load adjustment that the balance shaft puts on the crankshaft...At least thats what I interpeted from the dwrawing........

Old 07-08-2008, 01:39 PM

Gill, I agree that the balance shaft is applying a "pre-load" to the crankshaft, butwhat isthe mechanism for applying that pressure? If the adjustment is viaa eccentric method then full adjustment should be available in just one 360 degree turn of the slotted end on the shaft. If it some other method, then I could see multiple turns of the shaft being required to move through the entire range of adjustability.

I would think anyone who has had one these balance shaft mechanisms apart could report on this issue. I'm curious because if the full range of adjustment should be attainable through just one turn of the shaft, then maybe thereis something wrong with mine, as it spins round and round with no resistance at all (engine cold, not running)?

Old 07-08-2008, 02:29 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most of them do, Scott, nothing to worry about........
Start the motor, get it idling normally, then adjust the shaft anti-clockwise until it whines, then back it up until the whine disappears, about 1/8 of a turn should do it....[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Old 07-08-2008, 02:53 PM

Yes sir, most honorable Jedi Hurricane Master. I'll try the engine running method once I get the new cam chain installed.

I like those little sign toting smileys! Nice touch.

Quick Reply: Engine Balancer Adjustment Help?