CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Elevation!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 08:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Elevation!

Went for a ride tonight with a group, had a ball. Just to reassure people that these bikes are steady on one wheel. Shift your weight and clutch it up. I know a lot of you guys say the bike doesn't like to come off the ground, but its a matter of timing. Standard gearing is what I'm running. Have a go and let me know how it went.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:53 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Elevation!

Sure, you can do it Boink, even sitting normally -
question is - why would you want to ?
You're putting big strain on the drivetrain, front forks etc to no real purpose, and it's a 550 LB bike, which just compounds the problem, and if you get it only slightly wrong............[X(][X(]
I prefer leaning forward, and leaving a good smoking darkie down the road - shows you've been there, and doesn't damage the bike as much.More impressive than a wheelie IMHO....
Just my 2c worth

Old 10-24-2008, 01:11 PM

I do understand the thrill of a wheelie, but, I prefer to do it on a dirt bike where the cost of a screw up (legal costs, damage to bike, damage to person, damage to pride) is a lot less.

I'm not trying to impress anyone when I'm riding. I couldn't care less if the kiddies think I'm cool. The only women I want to impress is my wife and my daughter and they are just thrilled when I come home in one piece.

Even when I was a young guy (a long time ago)I only wheelied my CB750 when I was drunk. By the way, I stopped drinking and riding 25 years ago. Hmm, that was the last time I had a significant accident too...

I'm not saying no one should wheelie a Hurricane. I'm just saying its not for me.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:33 PM

I've wheelied mine once and it was accidental. I was taking off from a stop on dusty asphalt so I was loosing traction, shifted to second got traction all of the sudden and the front started pointing skyward. The hardest part was to keep from instinctually shutting the throttle off and slamming the front down. I agree that if you want to wheelie your liter bike please go ahead, but I personally have no inclination to bet my property and or body that I'll pull it off properly EVERY time. It only takes a small error to total your ride while riding normally why multiply the chance of that happening. Holy crap I'm getting old!

Ignore all of that above. Ride mile long wheelies in traffic and do stoppies at every light[sm=badbadbad.gif]hehe

Old 10-24-2008, 04:29 PM

I did one unintentially, passing a car just after taken off from the lights

Old 10-24-2008, 06:23 PM

I'd like to try it at least once. Maybe 2 ft. off the ground.

Old 10-25-2008, 03:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tobiahr
Ride mile long wheelies in traffic and do stoppies at every light[sm=badbadbad.gif]hehe
A stoppy on a cane are you kidding me[sm=insomnia.gif][sm=noooo.gif]

Old 10-25-2008, 04:18 AM

Hmm, I hear you all...and thanks - I know that you are concerned for another riders safety. Shads - the bike is heavy and I note that strain that you talked about - but, I don't have another "expendable" bike at my disposal. So I make do with what is available. The forks - yep, if you **** and cut off the throttle - you tank slap, so control the throttle down - or rear brake it.

Stoppies on the other hand are clearly potential spine wreckers - 280kg bike landing on top of you with velocity? I choose to avoid that one - my mate does them one handed...not for me...

I feel that a person will take out of a bike what they desire, sure you will get some young, inexperienced guy making a bad life choice - perhaps that's what people think of all bike riders?

I'm 36 and bike riding (inc wheel stands) are possibly one of the least dangerous hobbies that I have.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to wheelie boink, fill your boots mate,its just we all care about our fellow riders, especially Cane riders.
If that is one of your least dangerous hobbies what else do you get up too[sm=WTFsgign.gif]

Old 10-27-2008, 07:53 AM

Hi Sawnee,

Um, just looking at your avatar....both wheels off the ground?????

Quick Reply: Elevation!