CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000F "Hurricane" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/)
-   -   dumb question about fuel tap (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/dumb-question-about-fuel-tap-91753/)

swisherred 04-19-2009 03:03 PM

dumb question about fuel tap

My seat doesnt have the ring that denotes the position of the fuel tap...I ordered one and it has ON then OFF then RES...On being on top...is this correct? is there something wrong with my fuel tap then? because I always turn mine 1/4 turn from up and down to sideways and go...by that part it would show OFF...Mine runs when sideways and down...havent tried it up...

kilgoretrout 04-19-2009 06:30 PM

Yes, it is correct. Up should be on. To the right (horizontal) should be off. Down should be reserve.

Interesting.

Ok, I went down and looked. Here is your problem....
Somebody put your knob back on wrong (i'm guessing). If you remove the screw from the center of the knob, you can slide the knob off and then put it back on wherever you want. (post for the knob is square)

Easy way to fix it would be to take off the seat, turn the knob as far as it will turn to the LEFT. (This will be ON) Take off the knob. Put it back on with the arrow pointing to ON. Done deal.

swisherred 04-19-2009 06:33 PM

ok.....so then why does mine run when its to the right (off)? Ive been riding it like that from day one. Is there something broken or missing in there? I know the vacuum thing works fine.

thanks by the way.

kilgoretrout 04-19-2009 07:09 PM

I went back down and took it apart again.
Apparently I was wrong, and you can't put the knob on wrong. One corner of the square post is rounded so you can only put it on in the right orientation.
My bike is a 1995. I'm not sure if they changed it through the years. I doubt it, but who knows.

Not sure why yours would run in the "off" (horizontal) position. Got me.

mrchips 04-19-2009 07:18 PM

Mine runs when off also, fwiw i wouldn't worry about it

The owner's manual says something like "turn the tap off for long term storage or maintenance purposes".

At a guess i'd say the tap would stop gravity feed of fuel but the fuel pump sucks the fuel right through when she's running ?.

kilgoretrout 04-19-2009 07:50 PM

I suppose the seal could be shot inside.

I know mine won't run in the off position. I found that out the first day I rode it to work. The clowns I work with decided it would be funny to shut off my fuel when I wasn't looking. I didn't get very far.
You can imagine how upset I was. I just bought the dam bike. Luckily, I looked at the fuel switch first. :)

CBRclassic 04-19-2009 08:10 PM

Somebody put your knob back on wrong (i'm guessing)
kilgoretrout..Om..*****:D I hope that was just a guess mate ...the visuals are killin me with that one line if you did it in was in person....LOL

I have no idea why that would do that either , short of something not quite right inside the tap..?

One corner of the square post is rounded so you can only put it on in the right orientation
Unless the plastic tap had been rounded off to the point where the thing can be tightened on in any random position??

If you are really concerned about it mate ..
I think perhaps a dis assembly is the go:rolleyes: , to check for a broken tap or dead seals ?:eek:

BIGBAY90 04-20-2009 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by swisherred (Post 772882)
my seat doesnt have the ring that denotes the position of the fuel tap...i ordered one and it has on then off then res...on being on top...is this correct? Is there something wrong with my fuel tap then? Because i always turn mine 1/4 turn from up and down to sideways and go...by that part it would show off...mine runs when sideways and down...havent tried it up...

up position is on
down position is res.
Pointing to rear of bike is off

on

(fuel) off

res.

swisherred 04-20-2009 01:35 PM

I have no idea...I tried running it in all positions...still runs...guess it doesnt really matter unless my vacuum thing stops working someday...then it could be a problem...

Harry_T_Hamster 04-20-2009 02:00 PM

lol

sh1t mate - most people on here are complaining that they cant get their bike to run.

stop bragging that you cant get yours to not run :D:p:D