CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

dumb question about fuel tap

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 03:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dumb question about fuel tap

My seat doesnt have the ring that denotes the position of the fuel tap...I ordered one and it has ON then OFF then RES...On being on top...is this correct? is there something wrong with my fuel tap then? because I always turn mine 1/4 turn from up and down to sideways and go...by that part it would show OFF...Mine runs when sideways and down...havent tried it up...

Old 04-19-2009, 06:30 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, it is correct. Up should be on. To the right (horizontal) should be off. Down should be reserve.

Interesting.

Ok, I went down and looked. Here is your problem....
Somebody put your **** back on wrong (i'm guessing). If you remove the screw from the center of the ****, you can slide the **** off and then put it back on wherever you want. (post for the **** is square)

Easy way to fix it would be to take off the seat, turn the **** as far as it will turn to the LEFT. (This will be ON) Take off the ****. Put it back on with the arrow pointing to ON. Done deal.

Last edited by kilgoretrout; 04-19-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:33 PM

ok.....so then why does mine run when its to the right (off)? Ive been riding it like that from day one. Is there something broken or missing in there? I know the vacuum thing works fine.

thanks by the way.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:09 PM
Administrator - Retired

I went back down and took it apart again.
Apparently I was wrong, and you can't put the **** on wrong. One corner of the square post is rounded so you can only put it on in the right orientation.
My bike is a 1995. I'm not sure if they changed it through the years. I doubt it, but who knows.

Not sure why yours would run in the "off" (horizontal) position. Got me.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:18 PM

Mine runs when off also, fwiw i wouldn't worry about it

The owner's manual says something like "turn the tap off for long term storage or maintenance purposes".

At a guess i'd say the tap would stop gravity feed of fuel but the fuel pump sucks the fuel right through when she's running ?.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:50 PM
Administrator - Retired

I suppose the seal could be shot inside.

I know mine won't run in the off position. I found that out the first day I rode it to work. The clowns I work with decided it would be funny to shut off my fuel when I wasn't looking. I didn't get very far.
You can imagine how upset I was. I just bought the dam bike. Luckily, I looked at the fuel switch first.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by swisherred
my seat doesnt have the ring that denotes the position of the fuel tap...i ordered one and it has on then off then res...on being on top...is this correct? Is there something wrong with my fuel tap then? Because i always turn mine 1/4 turn from up and down to sideways and go...by that part it would show off...mine runs when sideways and down...havent tried it up...
up position is on
down position is res.
Pointing to rear of bike is off

on

(fuel) off

res.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:35 PM

I have no idea...I tried running it in all positions...still runs...guess it doesnt really matter unless my vacuum thing stops working someday...then it could be a problem...

Old 04-20-2009, 02:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

lol

**** mate - most people on here are complaining that they cant get their bike to run.

stop bragging that you cant get yours to not run

Quick Reply: dumb question about fuel tap