CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Downunder Resurection - US Import 1987 CBR1000F

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Downunder Resurection - US Import 1987 CBR1000F

The story so far.................

Naga-Thai and I independently and without knowledge of the others' actions, and by different sales media came across the same bike at roughly the same time. Confused? Well we certainly were until the next afternoon.

The bike in question is a personal import 1987 USA built, 1988 first registered, silver Mark 1 CBR1000F. The first of the first.

It was imported by the 2nd Indiana registered owner - an Aussie expat - who returned to Australia in 1999. The bike was essentially parked for the next 13 years in a shed or two in Melbourne.

Naga rang the owner and organised to see the bike, I rang shortly after only to be told that someone was coming to look at it, and they would ring me back if he didn't purchase it. Not knowing it was Naga, I then rang after waiting two hours to be told that the person didn't purchase it (yet ) after a very thorough going over. I discussed the bike with the owner then offered some money and it was accepted. Unbeknownst to me, Naga had then sought to purchase the bike only to be told it was sold.

Here's the best bit. It has 4,878.9 ORIGINAL miles on it. It is essentially unused!

I was fixing the brakes on the '91 CBR1000F that day and ran into some small trifle with it, and rang Naga to discuss it, and as he was out, I said, "oh, you wouldn't have seen my post about buying a CBR1000 today?" Where? he asked, Mount Waverley I said A silver 1988? he probed. Yes again I replied. Silence.......................then "you bastard" I was there this morning! The penny dropped.

As a consequence, Naga is the rightful Godfather with visiting and riding rights to this bike - It is only fair!

So the first sequence of photos are courtesy of Naga, who went through everything in boxes to check condition and what was/wasn't there.

The build/registration date plate

Broken ear on the upper fairing

Dust and a few minor scrapes on the mid fairing.

Dust, dust and more dust.

Carbies removed and carefully bagged

The mileage - what an enthusiast dreams of..............

I had arranged with the owner to drive over to Melbourne (about 750km) on Saturday to collect the bike, so Mrs SB and I set off at 3AM arriving at the house at 11.30AM and loaded the bike. We had arranged to meet Naga and another friend and his Wife for lunch and Naga found a great restaurant for us to dine. An hour and a half later after a great meal with great company (Naga had stopped hitting me by then ), we set off back for the Adelaide hills arriving home at 10PM. A big, big day.

I had to work away during the week, and only managed to get to the bike this morning and tonight for the first clean up and trial fit of all fairings.

The more I clean it up, the newer it looks!

One fairing repaired and all parts fitted.

There is only one part missing - the airbox cover and attached air elbow. I will contact the owner to see if it's sitting in the shed as Naga had to search out a few other parts.

It is going to be a relatively slow resurection, as it has to have a few things to change for Australian compliance and I will have to buy those parts from Aussie bikes being wrecked.

Looking good so far though, and I can wait to get it registered and put a few miles on it.

Cheers, SB

Last edited by Sebastionbear1; 09-21-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:13 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One word Seb - bastard.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kiwi tk
one word seb - bastard.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:04 AM
Senior Member and Montana roustabout :)

Looks almost brand new in that last photo!
My one word for you is "jealous" lol

Old 09-21-2012, 09:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great. Getting harder and harder to find.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:18 AM
Banned
Old 09-21-2012, 12:14 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Seriously jealous

Old 09-21-2012, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

It looks even better in daylight!

Just a pity we don't have Club registration for 25 year old bikes in South Australia.

Cheers, SB

Old 09-21-2012, 06:15 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That right there is an image of perfection - as I head downstairs and grab a bottle
real beer the kind with a cork on top - here's to you two Guys for saving yet another
Damsel in Distress

Old 09-21-2012, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Sprock
That right there is an image of perfection - as I head downstairs and grab a bottle
real beer the kind with a cork on top - here's to you two Guys for saving yet another
Damsel in Distress

Yep Sprock, she is indeed lovely. I finished cleaning and bolting all the bits together at about 9.30 last night and just stood back a looked - very pleased with my efforts.

It is not going to (fingers crossed) take too much to get it running, though I do have to go through the carbs completely.

Probably have a go before I head overseas.

Cheers, SB

Quick Reply: Downunder Resurection - US Import 1987 CBR1000F