CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Does anyone ever get sick of having so much power?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 03:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats cos TK is used to riding a bike which sits in the garage all winter and he has forgotten what it feels like to have some real hp to play with

Old 09-24-2011, 06:47 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Yes, it's very easy to take the p1ss outta me for snuggling down for the winter, but as I type this, it's feckin snowing at my house.

Daylight Saving weekend, start of summer, my ****.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:02 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good dollop of extra power in reserve is great when you're riding two-up with a load of luggage, that way you can still get the same performance.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:12 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Needs more power.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:30 PM
hmm

I ride 17 miles into Central London every weekday. 130ps is useful for:
1. traffic light burn-ups with the scooter-riders who ride like absolute a55holes with their silly leg-covers and their helmet straps flapping loose;
2. the traffic light burn-up with the Ferrari driver who thought he could beat bikes away from the lights - I knew he was trying because I could hear his engine over mine;
3. making cyclists jump as you blast past them after they've just cut in front of you to ride straight through a red light;
4. making pedestrians jump as you rev up ready to take off from the lights as they start to cross the road when they shouldn't;
5. accelerating briskly into gaps in the traffic to avoid the bus/truck coming the other way;
and most importantly:
6. accelerating out of sticky situations, e.g. where you see the nose of a car emerging from between stationary traffic about to turn right across you.

Hey, you've got to make the most of a repetitive, stressful ride in heavy traffic!

Old 09-25-2011, 08:16 AM

3 words: active safety feature!

Old 09-25-2011, 11:26 AM

as a new CBR1000f rider/owner, i must say i haven't cranked the throttle past about 1/4 turn except that one time on the interstate i punched it and went from 70 to around 120 in a little over a second. I wont say its too much power in the future but as of this moment it has plenty for me

Old 09-25-2011, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
Yes, it's very easy to take the p1ss outta me for snuggling down for the winter, but as I type this, it's feckin snowing at my house.

Daylight Saving weekend, start of summer, my ****.
TK, you've had some of the warmest weather in the last few weeks and now it's back to winter!!!! Summer is coming

Old 09-25-2011, 02:40 PM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

Originally Posted by cooltim
I love my hurricane, I love liter+ bikes in general. I love the sound, the torque, that feeling that the world just might end as the tacho approaches 10k, and the old 1000F isnt even that powerful a bike by todays standards.

But I have been having second thoughts lately. It's just that I can never really use the power. there is basically no-where on a public road where you can sensibly take a 1000f engine up to the redline in any gear. even in 1st the acceleration is so aggressive it's hard to focus on everything you should be, even think about the doing it in 2nd and you are begging for the attention of the po-po.

I realised it the other day while I was riding into the city, I was merging onto a motorway which I often see the police patrolling, I was on an on-ramp that has 2 lanes merge into 1, I saw the driver of a car beside me look over at me then accelerate. "silly man" I thought and wacked the throttle through 1st and 2nd, I probably only took it to 7-8K (barely off the torque wave!) and by the time I was on the motorway my speedo said I was in instant disqualification territory if Mr Plod happened to be around the bend. Risking walking for 3 months and I didn't even have any fun!

I generally don't behave like that in built up areas though, but even on my fave country roads, when Can I ever unleash all 130 HP?

The opposite end to the scale is the little across 250 my fiance is stuck on, I sometimes ride that to work for kicks. Power is so bad on that bike I am constantly checking the tune on it to figure out what's wrong, but you can wring it's scrawny neck.

Flat shifting, 17K rpm redline through 1st, 2nd and 3rd and still only bending the law in all but the slowest school zones. I can come off the Sydney harbour bridge, shift down into 2nd with 12k on the tacho, drop it into a hardish lean to take the first exit into the city and roll on the 'power' a clutchless shift into 3rd just before the valves bounce at the exit of the corner and I'm not even breaking any laws!

The problem is I once nearly lost to a people mover off the line one day at the traffic light gp... (I think he missed second gear, thank god)

Anyway, I'm not thinking of selling up for a 250 anytime soon, but I am saddened by the fact that I can never really unleash my baby...

Tim

Hey:

Sounds like a trackday at the Drags, Land Speed Record or Road Race Track is in order.

Dub

Old 09-25-2011, 02:46 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bucket List ...... "Mad Sunday" at the IOM TT on one of my Hurricanes or any Hurricane for that matter.....something I dream off doing someday before the Reaper shows up ! You can go as fast as your bike will take ya

Quick Reply: Does anyone ever get sick of having so much power?